Requirements to get/switch to Eir Broadband

Madra

I have VM at the moment via co-ax and I also have a legacy socket, I think, for Eir which was in the apartment when I bought it last year. It is basically a splitter box at the end of a bit of cable coming from socket which appears to take a phone connection. What requirements or work and costs are involved in getting an Eir BB connection. Is there a way of seeing whether you are already enabled for the BB online similar to VM ? I tried their site but it basically says put in your address and we'll see if you have a connection, which I don't. I notice another apartment in the block has a connection alright (as it autocompletes). Don't want to ring them till I know I can do it quickly and seamlessly which may give me a better bargaining pitch.

Hi madra
Have you tried plugging in a telephone into the socket. If there was a line working at that apartment before you moved in there could be a , soft dial tone. If there is a dial tone you will have access to 999 calls and 1901 , which is Eir, so you might be able to contact them from the socket.

The phone is likely disconnected at the exchange if you have not used it in years so plugging in a phone will tell you nothing.

You have to sign up for Eir or vodafone or sky all use eircom line
They will send out someone to check the line, you will know very quickly

I tried this route a few years back and Eir came out after 2 missed appointments and told me there was no line to the house.
I agreed as I had informed sales of this.

Eir guy told me 3 months minimum for an install and I would have to get a line to the top of the drive.
There are 2 separate exchanges one 20 and another 30 feet in 2 directions.
Living in an estate.
Incredible lack of service.

Don't cancel VM until you know eircom is good.
I got onto VM again last month to there loyalty dept and negotiated discount for 6 moths.

Requirements to get/switch to Eir Broadband?
1) Lots of time and endless patience.
2) A willingness to spend a minimum of 30 minutes on hold before talking to anyone.
3) The serenity to accept that you are dealing with some of the worst customer service it is possible to experience.
4) The wisdom to know that it's not the fault of the poor sap who answers the phone so don't vent your spleen on them.
5) The willingness to take mornings and afternoons off work to wait for people who just don't turn up and, after a few false starts when they do turn up they won't actually fix the problem even if they say they have.
6) The acceptance that if you complain nothing will happen; nobody will call you back, nobody will return your emails and when they say they will credit your account when they screw up they won't do it.

If you have an alternative then use someone else. Eir are mind-bogglingly appalling to deal with.
It's like the stories you hear about trying to get a visa at the border of an African country in the 1970's but, unfortunately, you can't just pay extra to get things sorted out.

Eir should set a target that within the next 12 months they can raise their customer service levels to "just really really bad", or maybe to a level that is believable bad, or maybe even to a level where their customers have frame of reference when describing it, something like, "Imaging an already over stretched hospital in a third world country which is dealing with a pandemic while being bombed; that's what they are like".

Just know that they place zero value on you as a customer.
I asked them if there was an option to pay extra so that someone would answer the phone but there isn't. I moved because they have all the rugby coverage on Eir Sport. It was also cheaper than Sky... (I miss Sky customer service like I'd miss a dead parent!). I can say without equivocation that the free Eir Sport and the cheaper price are totally not worth it. If it was free it wouldn't be worth it. It was a bad decision. I should have known better. I don't know what I was thinking.

Back