Requirements fitting a power shower - what type?

morpheus

Hi all,

basically I want to fit a power shower in the ensuite.

now before i charge off and buy one, what types of power shower are out there and what do I need to check before I install it?

At the minute theres a main water tank (raised up on woodden blocks) in the attic and a pipe runs from that down into the wall behind the shower.

The current shower us just a standard shower head attached to a copper pipe which I assume is connected to normal hot and cold water pipes just like the sinks or bath.

thanks!

Firstly, know your shower type.

Power shower = Thermostatic or mixer type, draws cold water from storage tank and hot water from cylinder. Does not heat its own water. Many models have low voltage pumps built in.

Electric Shower: Heats it's own water on demand. there are two types.

1 Pumped Electric shower: Fed from storage tank and to improve head of pressure a pump is installed within the shower housing.

2 non pumped electric shower; fed from a high pressure supply I.E mains, no need for pump.

Sounds like you may have Electric shower type one. best bet is to replace with newer model of one you have, connections will be on the same side etc.

Is electric shower type 1 something like the Triton T90 range?
There is no existing electric shower i think.

yes

So you probably have a mixer of some type that doesn't have a pump, internally or externally.

there are loads of power showers to choice from, check out mira, triton etc

There is no existing electric shower i think.

Apart from the plumber a significant additional expense to consider is the electrician. If you are thinking of a Triton T90 or similar which heat the water they require a heavy duty cable to its own trip switch on your fuse board.

Back