Requested tax clearance Cert for late father

It's rather more complicated than that -
what's complicated about it? write to revenue, if they are owed money, they'll let you know very fast!

OP appears to say that late father's only source of income is from a pension; if that's not the case and revenue are owed money, OP needs to deal with that; but that's a different kettle of fish from the OPs initial question.

what's complicated about it? write to revenue, if they are owed money, they'll let you know very fast!

OP appears to say that late father's only source of income is from a pension; if that's not the case and revenue are owed money, OP needs to deal with that; but that's a different kettle of fish from the OPs initial question.
There is a specific procedure for granting tax clearance for deceased individuals. https://www.revenue.ie/en/tax-profe...ains-tax-corporation-tax/part-46/46-01-02.pdf as per @ClubMan's post above.

This needs to be followed. I'm amazed that you're advising the OP without knowing even the basics of what's required.

It's rather more complicated than that - which you presumably know if you're happy to advise here? But if the OP is stuck, they can easily go to another accountant for assistance.
thanks for that, was actually considering going to one out of the small town we live in,
There is a specific procedure for granting tax clearance for deceased individuals. https://www.revenue.ie/en/tax-profe...ains-tax-corporation-tax/part-46/46-01-02.pdf as per @ClubMan's post above.

This needs to be followed. I'm amazed that you're advising the OP without knowing even the basics of what's required.
Sorry lads didn't mean to start an argument, I'll check this link, as for my late father his only income was the pension, so I was also wondering why he would need to have tax returns? Or am I totally out of my depth here? I'm totally confused to be honest,

There is a specific procedure for granting tax clearance for deceased individuals. https://www.revenue.ie/en/tax-profe...ains-tax-corporation-tax/part-46/46-01-02.pdf
Indeed - and that has been provided.

Probate has been granted from what the OP says; if they are at the point I believe them to be, they need confirmation from Revenue (and sometimes SW) that there is no outstanding tax or refund of SW etc., before they distribute the estate.

Essentially, the advice remains the same - on the basis of the OPs question - they have no need to pay for 11 years worth of unsupplied (possibly unsupported) invoices to get the required clearance. They can go direct to Revenue.

Edit to add: OP did you do the statement of affairs yourself or did a Solicitor act for you?

Last edited:
Sorry lads didn't mean to start an argument, I'll check this link, as for my late father his only income was the pension, so I was also wondering why he would need to have tax returns? Or am I totally out of my depth here? I'm totally confused to be honest,
On the face of it, if that was his sole income, then it seems odd that he would need somebody to do a tax return for him rather than just updating his records as needed online via Revenue myAccount or whatever. Almost certainly he would not have needed to do a "Form 11" self assessed return with just pension income - whatever about checking and maybe tweaking as needed his "PAYE/Form 12" details.

It's rather more complicated than that - which you presumably know if you're happy to advise here? But if the OP is stuck, they can easily go to another accountant for assistance.

A very good point especially if OP finds that the accountant has physical possession of documentation that Revenue needs to consider the request. This might arise if the returns had not all been submitted.

A very good point especially if OP finds that the accountant has physical possession of documentation that Revenue needs to consider the request. This might arise if the returns had not all been submitted.
Unlikely going by the checklist required by Revenue as per the above link. Most of the information required is in the realm of what the executors would typically be dealing with anyway.

On the face of it, if that was his sole income, then it seems odd that he would need somebody to do a tax return for him rather than just updating his records as needed online via Revenue myAccount or whatever.
Revenue myAccount didn't exist until relatively recently.

Back