Requested tax clearance Cert for late father

woody1966

Hi all , hope someone here can advise me please or where I stand,
My father passed away suddenly last October my sister and I are executors of his Will, which is probated
I requested a tax clearance cert from dad's accountant, but issued us with an incvoice for 11 years of tax returns for my late father and requests payment of over €2500 before he will give us cert.
I queried as to why a service was continued for 11 years without payment reply from accountant was an email stating "it simply wasn't billed'
I just wonder where I stand on this legally? if we have to pay this to receive cert,
appreciate any advice, no matter how small
thanks
Jon

As executor you must honour all debts owed by your father's estate.
Providing the funds exist.

You could query the tardiness of the accountant.
But was your father running a business or similar prior to his passing?

Sounds scammy.

I wouldn't in a month of Sundays pay this.

Go elsewhere.
thanks for that, have to be honest was thinking the same, just doesn't feel right that suddenly after my dad passing , he decides to bill us for 11 years without any actual proof? But says he won't release tax clearance cert until I pay him for this??

thanks for that, have to be honest was thinking the same, just doesn't feel right that suddenly after my dad passing , he decides to bill us for 11 years without any actual proof? But says he won't release tax clearance cert until I pay him for this??
Sorry for your loss.

You can get the tax clearance from revenue; this person is a chancer.

Two or three years might be believeable esp if your late father was unwell & not able to handle paperwork. But 11 years is nonsense.

Sorry for your loss.

You can get the tax clearance from revenue; this person is a chancer.

Two or three years might be believeable esp if your late father was unwell & not able to handle paperwork. But 11 years is nonsense.
Thanks you, thanks for advice on tax clearance,
My father was in good enough health, unfortunately had sudden heaet attack,
He was very good with his bills etc but never actually received one from this accountant, I only found out now that apparently he owes the accountant this amount, just really bit lost as what to do, thanks again

Do you mean that you now know the bill is genuine?
Apologies, no didn't mean that at all, just getting bit upset over whole thing, no bill is definitely not genuine as he never received one in the 11 years, just find it strange how suddenly after he passes that the accountant suddenly remembers there's an outstanding bill for 11 years

Don't let it get to you & don't bother replying to him.

All you need to do is write to revenue with all the details & they'll confirm all taxes are paid if that is the case.

All you need to do is write to revenue with all the details & they'll confirm all taxes are paid if that is the case.
Thanks for that, will do, have a good weekend & thanks for helpful advice

Hello,

I'm very sorry for your loss.

I'd also consider putting a letter in to whatever accountancy body, the accountant is a member of, expressing concerns, and raising a few difficult questions.

This type of carry on really needs to be stopped...

Generally, the time limit within which to sue on a contract issue is 6 years.
However, I think that there is still a shorter period of 2 years to sue the estate - time running from date of death.
If you can get the certificate directly as suggested by DannyBoyD [#10] leave the matter to lie as far as the accountant is concerned.
Now that the accountant is aware of your father's demise, time is running against him.

Generally, the time limit within which to sue on a contract issue is 6 years.
However, I think that there is still a shorter period of 2 years to sue the estate - time running from date of death.
If you can get the certificate directly as suggested by DannyBoyD [#10] leave the matter to lie as far as the accountant is concerned.
Now that the accountant is aware of your father's demise, time is running against him.
Thanks for that

Very much doubt this chancer will try that.

They would have to provide documentation for the service provided, invoicing etc., the "oh I forgot to invoice for eleven years" excuse won't stand up.
Thanks a mill DannyBoyD
Yep, my gut just tells me something ain't right, as you say, he has no actual documentation etc

It's rather more complicated than that - which you presumably know if you're happy to advise here? But if the OP is stuck, they can easily go to another accountant for assistance.

Back