Repossession order on house I no longer own

johnpdolan

After a long and protracted sale of my house in conjunction with the bank I finally completed the sale for €100,000 which went to bank and this has left me with an outstanding balance owed of €65,000 ish.

Tonight I was summoned to appear in court in July as bank have issued repossession order for the house I know longer own. The original date on letter I got tonight was back in November when sale had not been completed but I have all the legal documents now showing house is sold, the bank have their money and there is a new owner in the property. What should I do? Should I contact bank or just wait for court date and explain this to judge and show the legal documents? I have all correspondence on e mail.

They can't repossess something you don't own.

I would put them on notice that they have their facts wrong and if they don't withdraw the proceedings you will defend and they will be liable for your costs.

This has caused unwanted stress tonight in our house. I suffer from depression and my wife is pregnant with our third child and we did not need a man calling to our door to issue the solicitors letter, very upset

You've nothing to worry about, the letter is probably on foot of an instruction months ago to somebody that hasn't been kept in the loop.
Further more, not to be stating the obvious but a solicitors letter is just that - a letter, it has no legal standing whatsoever.
A few phone calls should sort it out for you.

You are best writing to them with proof of postage telling the person that sent it of the current situation and back it up with documentation so that they stop this procedure.

Write to the solicitor acting on behalf of the Bank. They obviously forgot to cancel the proceedings. No reason at all to be concerned over this, it is just a bureaucratic error and all you need do is inform the solicitors that the property has been sold and funds paid over to the Bank.

Back