Reporting Old Age Pension fraud anonymously?

Turbury

Can anyone advise how to report old age pension fraud anonymously? Is there a time limit for reporting this fraud after the person dies?
A pensioner (now deceased) claimed NC old age pension that he was not entitled to for 20 years. I have seen threads similar to this on the forum before, with varied replies.
Some people disagree with reporting such incidents, however the fact is that this person claimed all this money while having millions of euros worth of assets and at the same time less well off pensioners died because they couldn’t afford decent medical treatment.

Re: Old age pension Fraud

I would just wonder why you would want to at this stage if the person is dead?

You can report any instance of social welfare fraud by contacting your social welfare office. However in the case of old age pension fraud there is rarely any need to do so - in cases of this nature it is now routine for the Welfare to recoup fraudulent receipts along with hefty interest and penalties from the estates of deceased persons. This is a far easier process from the Welfare's viewpoint than the alternative option of nipping the problem in the bud, as they are understandably reluctant to be seen to hassle or ask hard questions of elderly and vulnerable people. It is also much, much more lucrative from the State's perspective.

deem said:
I would just wonder why you would want to at this stage if the person is dead?

Just because the person is dead does not mean that a crime has not been committed - because of this fraud, I (and you) are paying higher taxes than we should - To answer your question, I want to report at this stage beacuse a crime has been comitted.

Can one report anonymously, I've been told that you must send a signed letter.
I know this person had offshore assets/income that revenue will not find without assisstance.

Turbury said:
Can one report anonymously, I've been told that you must send a signed letter.
I know this person had offshore assets/income that revenue will not find without assisstance.

Surely the Revenue will already have had access to the deceased person's Schedule of Assets and other Estate particulars including details of any offshore or other previously undeclared assets.

I personally don't see why you would want to report it anonymously when you obviously feel so strongly about it? If you believe it is your civic duty to do so then go ahead..Personally I would let it go, just as I don't report every person (or any ) I see who has more than 1 drink before getting behind the wheel of a car..throwing litter on the ground, there are people who are paid with taxpayers money to police these matters..

I think there has to be a better system than this. There should be no need for anyone to report anyone else. If this was so we would be at it all day every day as there is always something that annoys most people. This man is dead end of story. I dont think we should have to police the welfare system. Leave people alone, I'm sure the welfare have their own methods of investigating these things.

why did u not do it when he was alive, now I think it is to late, next time do it when the person can pay for their crimes

Go for it. Stealing to stealing. He was a criminal and that should be a matter of public record.
Swallow, Why should we not report people who are breaking the law? If you saw someone attaching an old person would you say to yourself "screw that, it's not my job to help them.”? I take the view that it is the duty of every citizen to report those who are stealing from the state. Or course there are questions of scale and every little thing does not warrant calling in the heavies but in the case raised by the OP the fraud was considerable.

I find the general consensus on this thread a wee bit depressing. I hope it is not representative of the population at large, but rather suspect that it is.

When we hear people saying that there are not enough guards "on the beat", it is usually in tandem with a demand for more "community policing".

Well guess what folks, you are all members of the community. If a community makes a habit of ignoring crime, those who purport to represent that community have little right to complain about the state not doing enough.

And no, before anybody asks, I don't report every crime I see. My particular contribution is dangerous driving, and I would probably phone garda stations once or twice a year to report particularly severe incidents (I always ask the guard to have a word with the offender, but make it clear that I will give a statement if they wish to prosecute. No prosecutions ever, but I am happy enough that a few coughs get softened). I also phone local authorities to report dangerous items\water leaks and such like. It is not much, I know, but if everybody did a little, that is all it would take.

Regarding the particular incident in this case, I broadly agree with the dept of S.W. policy (or at least with their general conduct, even if it is not an explicit policy). Old people can be odd about money. They might have lots, but manage to convince themselves that they are poor. It can be disportionately traumatic to them to be subject to withdrawal of benefits or investigation. All in all, I think the right policy is to go fairly softly while a pensioner is alive, but to always seek to recover overpayments after death.

contributory pensioners have absolutely nothing to hide. Can have millions upon millions but if they paid prsi they are entitled to an old age contributory pension. however in the case of non paye workers they have to declare very small incomes during working years in order to claim max benefit for college grants, medical cards etc. thus when they reach old age they can claim for non contributory pensions. lots of cases are justified , small business's, small farmers etc . Lots are not.

Back