Report on the Dáil motion on the PTSB SVR

The PTSB got themselves into this mess with their own terrible commercial decisions and are not punished one bit whereas the mortgage holder who did nothing wrong has to pay for it and the Government agree that this is fair. PTSB dug the hole but
get to keep the shovel!

I think it's worth reproducing the relevant bits of the Labour Party TD, Colm Keaveny's contribution to the Debate

Colm Keaveney (Galway East, Labour) http://www.kildarestreet.com/debate/?id=2012-03-13.631.11I will try to be as brief as possible. On this issue, we should forgo the usual political point scoring and posturing, which is a feature of debates on Private Members’ motions. This issue affects far too many people in our society for us to engage in the type of bating we have witnessed in the past. Be they families burdened with large mortgage repayments or businesses struggling to access credit, they and the economy need a resolution to this issue.

There is much to commend in the motion from Fianna Fáil. The history of how we got to this point has little relevance for the families seeking a solution to this issue. Individuals and businesses trying to stay in business are struggling to keep their heads above water. The only thing that matters to the people affected is what the future holds and not what the past has delivered to us.

Every week worried parents struggling to keep their homes contact me. As the previous speaker stated, the banks, Permanent TSB in particular, which owe their very survival to the actions of the Irish State and the Irish people, played a large role in bringing our people to the sorry state in which we now find ourselves. Necessity meant that the banking system had to be saved but the time for pay-back is soon approaching. Justice, and now necessity, demand that.

Unfortunately, attempts to address these matters are not straightforward as in many cases they are interlocking arrangements and, in some ways, are contradictory in their aims. As the Minister, Deputy Noonan, indicated at the start of this week, negotiations are under way on the issue of the Anglo Irish Bank promissory notes. Along side that the Government is negotiating to move tracker mortgages from other banks to the Irish Bank Resolution Corporation, thereby taking some pressure off the margins of those banks that are playing havoc in the context of the mortgage situation.

The gap of more than 2% between the variable mortgage rate and AIB and Permanent TSB is punitive, particularly given that normal market forces cannot operate because of, as the motion notes, the inability of people to move mortgages from one institution to another. As normal market forces are not currently present to act as a correction on the activities of Permanent TSB, there is a strong case for intervention by the State, either through regulation or political pressure.

So I read this thread with interest, as Brendan did email me asking for my support as a suffering PTSB SVR mortgage payer. I am in Cork and up to my eyes in work, so could not attend the Dail debate, but fair play to those who did. I emailed my Labour TD but got no response - fat lot of good that did. My question is now what difference has this all made? The government amendment was carried 70 to 24, which advised no action by the government to pressure (other than by 'suasion') PTSB to reduce its SVR.

Another thread discusses the whole issue of Promisory notes and the passing of Tracker loans to IBRC or some kind of 'bad bank' which will relieve the pressure on PTSB and hopefully they will then reduce their SVR. I cant honestly see this happening within the next 12 months. The fact remains, because there is no competition in the mortgage market, PTSB can do precisely what it likes and screw its customers to its hearts content, and the government clearly see their role as a shareholder in PTSB as more important than their role to protect their citizens from rogue businesses.

So I ask again - what has changed?

With all their ups and more ups, my mortgage went up 28%. Over the term of the loan it will cost me another €60k. I'm being squeezed at 5.19%. What can you do?

So I ask again - what has changed?

Hi Oldsteel

It's hard to know.

The Dáil debate got coverage in the newspapers. The government TDs, especially the Labour Party TDs were very uncomfortable. They know it's wrong and they had to vote down the motion.

PTSB svr mortgage holders must keep the pressure on the government. It was helpful to have 13 people in the Visitors' Gallery for the debate. It would have been far better to have 130 people there.

But as pointed out, no cabinet minister was there anyway.

Brendan

Back