Replacing the radio CD player on my 2005 Audi A3

Brendan Burgess

Founder
The CD player has stopped working but the radio is ok.

Anyway, I want to be able to listen to USBs.

How do I go about replacing it? There used to be "car stereo" shops who would sell and install car radios. Do these exist anymore?

Brendan

Hi Brendan,

Not many independent places left. Most people buy on the internet, and fit themselves or give a mate a few pints to fit it.

Try Halfords. They'll fit it for 35.00 I think.

[broken link removed]

I find their advice can be hit and miss - depends on who you happen to talk to. But I assume you're looking for a basic enough radio?

You might have to book in a radio fitting. If they're not busy, you might get lucky that you gave to wait half an hour, but prepare to book a timeslot.

Check for an independent installer of car audio systems locally. They'll have the experience of fast, efficient installation.

I got a radio installed that plays CDs, takes SD cards and USB sticks and it has a bluetooth facilty with which I can answer the phone hands free.

Safesounds in drumcondra do this type of work and would be good for advice as well as service.
Not cheap though.

Hi Brendan,

I have one of these:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Ultimate-Ears-Bluetooth-Waterproof-Shockproof-Phantom-Lite/dp/B07J36VFFQ/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1546858533&sr=8-1&keywords=ue+boom+2

And I play what I want from my phone

Firefly.

Thanks

I contacted ICE in Ranelagh and they are going to fit a Pioneer system tomorrow for me for €350 .

It gives me what I want. A radio, a CD player and a USB player. I don't really need Bluetooth but it's there anyway so I might use it.

Brendan

I contacted ICE in Ranelagh and they are going to fit a Pioneer system tomorrow for me for €350 .
How did that go Brendan?

I find myself in the market for a replacement system for my 2007 Toyota Avensis T25. Since the last iPhone software upgrade trying to use Bluetooth with the car crashes the iPhone. Car system is too old to be firmware upgraded. I want Apple CarPlay because the in-car factory-fit GPS will depart with the stereo.

Hi mathepac

ICE were excellent.

I booked the car in for the following day at 10 am. They told me it would be ready at 2.30. They rang me at 12.30 to tell me it was on schedule and would be ready.

When I collected it, he spent a fair bit of time in the car with me explaining how all the features worked.

It's a great radio/CD player/USB player with Bluetooth.

I have no hesitation in recommending them.

I don't drive that much. I don't use my mobile that much. So I wasn't looking for a system which would alllow me to operate hands-free on my phone, but it is part of it. I was really surprised at how simple it is to have it installed. I am shocked at how many people who drive more often than I do and who use the phone more often, don't have a hands-free system installed.

Brendan

Back