Replacing stuck light bulb

amtc

I have a four spot light overhead in my kitchen. One of the bulbs blew last week. I have congratulating myself and having some in stock.

My friend went to replace it but on twisting it the bulb part came off leaving the ceramic part in the holder. He could feel it rotating in the holder but couldn't get any purchase on it.

We turned off the electricity and thought about using a pliers...but then couldn't find it. I think I lent to a neighbour, so can get back over weekend. My only problem is my friend has gone home and I absolutely hate heights and am terrified of electricity.

Any advice?

Is your pliers metal handled, I suppose if it is you're dead and won't be able to respond to this post.

Last edited:
Ask yourself if you hate heights and are terrified of electricity more than you hate and are terrified by a €100 callout fee for an electrician!

Honestly, though, it's simple. First of all, on these winter days, make sure you get at it at a sensible time of day with plenty of time before sunset. Turn off the electricity at your fuse panel (just flip all the switches). See if you can get the bulb socket out without pliers first. If it's one of the spring loaded types you may be able to press it in by it's edge, twist, and have it just pop out. You will want to put on a glove for this -- not for insulation though that'll be an added bonus for your peace of mind -- but so you can press the edge of the socket in without cutting yourself. If you do have to use the pliers, be careful not to damage the socket. You don't want to end up needing an electrician even after all your trouble. I expect you will do just fine.

turn off electricity at fuse box. Please ensure this is done properly so that there is no power to the lighting loop in question.

Slice a med sized raw potato (yes, a potato) in half. Take the exposed side and push up into remaining broken spot metal base. Twist potato and this should grip and loosen the embedded remaining spot base allowing it to be removed.

Take this opportunity to ensure that all of the bulbs are decent quality LED-type. I only use Philips or Osram, both are available in your local Woodies. Apart from the energy savings (which will more than repay the additional cost of the bulbs), you will need to change the bulbs far less often; a good bonus for you if you are afraid of heights and electricity.

Absolutely no need to switch off all MCBs at your fuseboard. Switch one off & back on at a time until you find out which one controls this light fitting; this should be easy as the other bulbs still work in this fitting. If not already in place, you should number each MCB, stick a chart on the fuseboard door, and mark what each MCB controls. If you don't have time or want to do this for each MCB, at least label the one for the kitchen light which you are working on, so you know which MCB to turn off if this happens again. By turning off the correct MCB for the circuit you are working on, you will still have power available in the kitchen to plug in a lamp to allow you to see what you are doing while you change the bulb(s).

Not sure the electrical regs people would subscribe to the potato idea above from Alistair, but I like it!

I only use Philips or Osram, both are available in your local Woodies. Apart from the energy savings (which will more than repay the additional cost of the bulbs), you will need to change the bulbs far less often

If you want to achieve a faster return on your investment, buy pretty much anywhere other than Woodies, which is up among the most expensive sources for these. Call your local electrical wholesaler for a price.

If you want to achieve a faster return on your investment, buy pretty much anywhere other than Woodies, which is up among the most expensive sources for these. Call your local electrical wholesaler for a price.

I'd normally agree with that when it comes to Woodies prices, but I find the range of light bulbs they carry is far superior to any electrical wholesaler. If you are fussy about the appearance of the bulb, it's nice to be able to compare different options.
If you can bring an OAP with you on a Thursday, you will get a 10% discount.

Hey, is this a business opportunity for an OAP - shopping in Woodies on Thursday for a share of the discount?

Or if you have insurance with AXA you get 10% off everyday in Woodies, part of the reason I stay with them :)

Been a while but still good...

1 to change the light bulb and to post that the light bulb has been changed
14 to share similar experiences of changing light bulbs and how the light bulb could have been changed differently
7 to caution about the dangers of changing light bulbs
1 to move it to the Lighting sectionj
2 to argue then move it to the Electricals section
7 to point out spelling/grammar errors in posts about changing light bulbs
5 to flame the spell checkers
3 to correct spelling/grammar flames
6 to argue over whether it's "lightbulb" or "light bulb" ... another 6 to condemn those 6 as stupid
2 industry professionals to inform the group that the proper term is "lamp"
15 know-it-alls who claim they were in the industry, and that "light bulb" is perfectly correct
19 to post that this forum is not about light bulbs and to please take this discussion to a lightbulb forum
11 to defend the posting to this forum saying that we all use light bulbs and therefore the posts are relevant to this forum
36 to debate which method of changing light bulbs is superior, where to buy the best light bulbs, what brand of light bulbs work best for this technique and what brands are faulty
7 to post URL's where one can see examples of different light bulbs
4 to post that the URL's were posted incorrectly and then post the corrected URL's
3 to post about links they found from the URL's that are relevant to this group which makes light bulbs relevant to this group
13 to link all posts to date, quote them in their entirety including all headers and signatures, and add "Me too"
5 to post to the group that they will no longer post because they cannot handle the light bulb controversy
4 to say "didn't we go through this already a short time ago?"
13 to say "do a Google search on light bulbs before posting questions about light bulbs"
1 forum lurker to respond to the original post 6 months from now and start it all over again

Thanks for all responses. As the op can now update as to what it takes to replace said bulb.

1 useless boyfriend who broke bulb in first place. Bear in mind he also installed my tv in greek.

1 set of neighbours who brought back pliers

1 set of parents who (my father gallantly sent my mother up ladder) who had no success. My dad has always thought my kitchen was too dark so promptly decided a better solution was to instruct builder friend to knock down wall. Thankfully i got wind of this before he ordered glass bricks

1 electrical engineer friend who agreed with potato idea but on way here suffered heart attack (is ok)

1 friend who works for light wholesalers giving me piles of led bulbs.

1 boyfriend who took me away to apologise for being useless and when got to hotel realised it was actually booked for same date next year. 1 very silent journey home with Chinese takeway

1 sighting of mouse in kitchen.

1 boyfriend who thinks we should keep as pet.

I boyfriend dispatched for being useless

1 mouse exterminator found and on way within ten minutes.

I follow up visit from him...happened to mention light....meanwhile useless boyfriend has couriered torch and candles as playful and thoughful.

One swift execution from mouse man...bulb out no problem. Used very strong magnet. Took 2 secs.

Am now in love with mouse man. Didn't cost a penny

1 boyfriend in doghouse.

Oh by the way been using the Woodies oap idea for ages. My dad does all shopping for garden supplies for my friends. And the good thing there are no exceptions.

Ok, now you have me hooked. (By the way, I misread it as "one execution OF mouse-man").

I await with baited breath of the next episode in the burgeoning romance between you and mouse-man (to the chagrin of useless boyfriend).

Mouse man appeared back to check re mouse extinction. Good news...no mice. Bad news...helping single female made him realise how his ex must feel, so I spurred him on to ring her. Suffice to say there is not a happy end to this tale! Having said that useless boyfriend is showing more signs of enthusiasm

Keep useless boyfriend (UB) on his toes by getting a pet mouse, as a reminder of what could have been!
Call pet mouse by mouse man's (MM) name.
If UB starts to slip again, threaten to leave mouse out of cage and call MM to assist in capture.
Leave MM business cards around the place.

(Reminds me of cakeman and picture lady over on boards - no there was a saga (with a happy ending)).

Back