Replacing small radiator

colin79ie

I have a small radiator in my downstairs utility room toilet. Basically the paint is coming off the bottom so instead of painting it which never looks as good, I would like to replace it with a new one. They are only cheap to buy so it is worth it. My question is, is it difficult to replace on my own or will I need a plumber. Seems bog standard fittings on it etc. Any advice appreciated.

That's a lot of work just because of some flaking paint- if the rad is sound and there is no serious corrosion why not get some cheap primer and top coat from a motor factors and touch up the area? This will take a few minutes and cost about €12.

don't interfere with a heating system unless you're competent; i did, and i wasn't; guess what happened? big plumber's bill, and i'm actually a qualified tradesman in a related craft! ever heard the old saying:- if its working, why fix it? ; i know lots about plumbing now, but it took me ages to learn; i learned most from my mistakes! my advice, leave well alone! just sand off as much of the rust as you can before priming, then paint with an eye-catching colour thereby making a feature of that tired old rad; don't paint over the connections if at all possible; if you're really determined to replace the rad, then send me a pm and i'll explain what to do;

Back