Replacing Kitchen Press Units and Kitchen Tiles

modestus

I have a rented apartment that I now want to sell -the Kitchen tiles are reminiscent of a fish and chip shop/takeway and have to go.

Question: Should I go to the cost/trouble of tearing down these tiles as most likely they will pull the plaster away with them and I will have to replaster the whole kitchen as these old tiles run right through the kitchen from the kitchen ceiling to the floor arounf and under all the presses which is a huge job or should I sidestep the whole issue and place plasterboard over the existing tiles after I have taken out the old worktops and kitchen presses and place a few rows of tiles as part of the splashback over the new kitchen worktops that I am putting in and paint the rest of the kitchen walls
Anyone any ideas on this ?
Thanks

It's not that big a job to take down the old tiles a good size room can be done in little over an hour. Take down the old tiles and retile with a nice new modern tile that will look well with the kitchen you will not need to replaster if you are retiling the area again.

Good Luck ;)

I recently took tiles off the wall in my kitchen - half of them came off fine & the other half took half the plasterboard wall with them leaving hols and tears in the wall. There was no way the wall could be tiled over the way it was. Thankfully I was able to get my Dad to do a patch up job and the re-skim the affected area.

Unregistered said:
I recently took tiles off the wall in my kitchen - half of them came off fine & the other half took half the plasterboard wall with them leaving hols and tears in the wall. There was no way the wall could be tiled over the way it was. Thankfully I was able to get my Dad to do a patch up job and the re-skim the affected area.

Aren't Dads just great :)

Hi Modestus,

I just had a similiar problem with the plasterboard coming away. I'm no expert on this, but you start by cutting the plasterboard around the boarder of the tiles to seperate the plasterboard under the tiles and the plasterboard which is exposed. Take the tiles out; put in a lump of plasterboard in the hole and retile over it... that's the way my tiler did it. Plasterboard can be cut to size easily, and you can throw up the tiles over this.
Although all did not go perfectly (see my post from today).

Darragh.

Back