Replacing gunbarrel pipes

C

copernicus

Hi
I am considering whther it is worthwhile to replace the gunbarrel heating pipes in 3 bed semi ( about 40years old)- there is some rust on pipes where they exit floor according to surveyor....does whole system need to be replaced? how long would gunbarrel pipes generally last for? what kind of price involved in replacing pipes? would i also need to replace radiators? could do with upgrading radiators anyway.
Thanks

40 years is a good long time to have GB pipes. To do it properly, you are talking about removing all the GB and radiators - they will be full of dirty foul water and gunge anyway and start again. Part remedial work will only move the problems to other areas

35 year life span a GB system. It depends though, if they are under concrete and not protected properly, it's life span could vary.

Best how it all out and start again. If you are re-piping house probably best to change radiators too.

Hi
I am considering whther it is worthwhile to replace the gunbarrel heating pipes in 3 bed semi ( about 40years old)- there is some rust on pipes where they exit floor according to surveyor....does whole system need to be replaced? how long would gunbarrel pipes generally last for? what kind of price involved in replacing pipes? would i also need to replace radiators? could do with upgrading radiators anyway.
Thanks

Had to replace mine when I bought a house of a similar age a few years back.

Best to replace them now otherwise it'll be worse if they burst.

By the way I suspect you might be buying the house off of someone who is posting here also!
Their buyer's surveyor found problems with the central heating.

Might not be the case - probably happens all the time.

Corpernicus, did you replace the gun barrell pipes and radiators and roughly how much did it cost. Am in similar situation with 35 year old house and prob need to get it done.
Thanks

Well you can wait until something goes wrong, which is what happened to me, pipe leaked in my bedroom while I was away! Caused about 2k worth of damage, and i consider myself lucky. I Replaced all rads and pipes in 3 bed semi for approx 3k last year. Heat from new rads is 100 times better now. Plumber at the time told me the GB pipes have a lifespan of 25 years, and in that during the replacement, the pipes crumbled in his hands in two spots in the house. My advice is do it now. No point in waiting for something to go wrong.

Did you have concrete or wooden floors downstairs. How much mess involved??
What exactly does the 3k cover???
Have been thinking recently of doing ours.

Back