replacing existing oil boiler and rads

Randy

Hi,

I'm in the process of pricing the replacement of an existing oil boiler for a new energy efficient one, I am also going to change all the rads and have thermostatic valves installed too.

Does anyone have any idea if the choice of radiator has any impact when it comes time to get a BER cert? If so are ther energy efficient rads that I should be looking at?

thanks

Thats a good question.

There are aluminium radiators that work well on a low temperture system. They may well be "over sized" to compenstate for lack of temperture to air transfer through the surface area.

However about generating heat, retaining it is key.

Totally agree with Davy,

But feel it should also be pointed out, that fitting thermostatic radiator valves is a step forward, it still means that the boiler will keep firing (short cycling) even is all rad valves are shut and you house is toasty. The do not provide what is called 'boiler interlock'

That is a series of control elements that ensure the boiler does no fire when there is no demand for heat (rads or hot water) and can be achieved by fittng room stats, cylinder stats and motorvalves, and a multi channel programable timeclock

To show the benefit as regards the SEI grants available, €500 is for the controls, and €700 for both boiler and controls is on offer (hints to where the biggest energy savings lay)

Think of boiler short cycling as if it were a car, don't you use a lot more petrol driving stop/start across the city, than a long constant drive down the motorway, well short cycling of your boiler is the same, it is most efficient running rather than stop/start (short cycles)

Back