Replacing deeds

micheller

Hi All,

Can anyone advise how long it would normally take to replace deeds for a house if lost and what the process is?

Thanks,
Michelle.

Depends on the property, whether the title is registered or unregistred, pre or post 1963 and lots of other factors. A cottage in the country built in 1950 for example may not have any "deeds", just a noting in the land registry. A property in the centre of a town with a lot of extensions could have a large pile which can be very difficult to replace. If you post the location, type of property and age I might be able to be more specific, you can pm me this information if you like

Any use?
I have lost my deeds. Can I get a copy of them?

No. The Registry of Deeds do not retain copies of the deeds. A certified copy of the memorial may be of some assistance. To apply for a copy memorial, the registration reference must be supplied. This is obtained by having a search done against the person who disposed of an interest in the property.

In the event that a deed is lost a memorial is secondary evidence of the contents of the deed.

Thanks Clubman, another possibility to keep in mind. Next step is definately legal anyway. Much appreciated :)

Michelle.

Back