Replacing a built in dishwasher with a free standing one

corkgal

My dishwasher seems to be on its last legs. Its built in but I would probably replace it with a free standing one because they are cheaper.
The opening seems to be a tiny bit smaller than the 600mm they say a dishwasher needs but there is a bit of spare wood beside the dishwasher, I assume it could go.
Has anyone done this? How did it go? Much sawing?

If I do get an integrated one, are they all the same size?

A standard dish-washer (integrated or free-standing) fits into a 600mm space.

You can specify half-width, counter top, etc, where space is limited, but they would be exceptions rather than the norm.

Your integrated one is only integrated as in has the same door so as previous poster said a new one should just slot in, careful pulling old one out that you don't pull the pipes apart but as long as nothing gets caught you should be fine, I did it before with a washing machine

You should also check about the plumbing requirements if you switch from an integrated to free-standing dish-washer. Some piping may have to be changed.

You should also check about the plumbing requirements if you switch from an integrated to free-standing dish-washer. Some piping may have to be changed.
no there wont be any issues its just one in ,one out same connections. A free standing d/washer will alter the original look of the kitchen and its only when its in that you may feel that the extra few bob spent may have been worth it in the long run..........

I got the free standing one. It has a flat panel, no buttons on the front and is stainless steel so it looks well.
I found that the knobs on the panel were in a different position than needed for the new integrated ones.

I am really happy I went for a free standing one, I was able to install it myself while my 1 year old was toddling about the kitchen. A more complicated one would probably still be in the box.

Plumbing was exactly the same. I used the new hose that came with the new dishwasher just because they recommended it but it was identical to the old one.

My 9 year old integrated Candy finally gave its last wash yesterday, may it rest in peace in whatever re-cycling centre in the Sky it ends up in:)

After reading a good few posts here I reckon I will go for a freestanding Bosch. Love my Bosch washing Machine. Hope I don't miss the look of the integrated one but freestanding costs so much less and there will be no kitchen fitter needed to put on the door etc............... Plus they seem to be in stock everywhere, God forbid I should have to wash a cup :) Thanks all AAM'ers for all your reviews, makes life so much easier when having to shop for something like this all of a sudden.

Back