repairs to CD players etc.

Paulone

Hi All,
We've got a relatively young Sony CD micro system with a malfunctioning CD player and I want to get it fixed.

The CD player refuses to read most disks - initially it was our own burned disks but now it won't read original, shop-bought disks that play fine in other machines.

People are saying 'chuck it out!!', but I think that's a terrible waste. Does anyone have a recommendation for a repair shop in or around Dublin that could look at it?

I've also been offered a 1980s 4-in-1 stack system on which the radio, tape player and CD arent working. I wouldn't take it unless I could get all those repaired as well, so I'm looking for a place that could take on this work too.

All advice about such repairs and suggestions gratefully received.
P

Perhaps the CD lens just needs to be cleaned? I would certainly try that before looking for a repair shop or dumping it. Google for avice on how to do this.

I definitely wouldn't look at repairing the 20 yr old system; and sadly it might not be worth your while with the newer one either.

I had a similar issue with the previous cd player I owned, - it was a 6-cd changer system and not easily replaced. I paid to repair it twice in one year and when it went the 3rd time had to dump it. Looking back I wouldn't have bothered paying for the repairs - it is an awful waste I agree; but I don't have any better solution for you.

If you ring the Sony repair service they will give you details of where you can bring it.

Hi All,
We've got a relatively young Sony CD micro system with a malfunctioning CD player and I want to get it fixed.

The CD player refuses to read most disks - initially it was our own burned disks but now it won't read original, shop-bought disks that play fine in other machines.

People are saying 'chuck it out!!', but I think that's a terrible waste. Does anyone have a recommendation for a repair shop in or around Dublin that could look at it?

I've also been offered a 1980s 4-in-1 stack system on which the radio, tape player and CD arent working. I wouldn't take it unless I could get all those repaired as well, so I'm looking for a place that could take on this work too.

All advice about such repairs and suggestions gratefully received.
P

A new CD lens (the component that is most likely at fault) could cost you up to €100 to fit.

So, it depends on how much the system cost - is it worth spending this much on fixing it?

However, as Clubman says, you should clean it first - there are CD lens cleaners available in retail.

I have come to the same conclusion re repairs and only buy cheap CD players nowadays. The kids have one in their bedroom and they jump on the floor to make it skip a beat, skip to a new song etc. Great fun but the really cheap one is still working (2 years) and if it gets broken I'll just buy a new one.

Back