repairing breached DPC or alternative

Franm

Hi all,
I was just wondering if anyone has any suggestions re repairing damaged DPC. Our DPC is damaged in lots or areas due to plumbing changes and general renovation works. It is very delicate and I feel that it would be difficult to repair and reseal properly.
Is it sufficient to place current grade DPC sheeting in the channels and re fill in or what's the done thing to this.
We already have a damp problem in one room and have decided to excavate this floor and redo complete with DPC however re doing all the floors is not an option.
I'm considering putting a special membrane on top of the floor such as that provided by Newtown Membranes. http://www.newton-membranes.co.uk/slimline.htm (their slimline product)

I'd appreciate anybodys thoughts/advice on this.

Regards
Franm

Yes the membrane is now torn in many places due to channels being cut for new plumbing/waste pipes etc. The membrane itself is very light guage plastic sheeting that you'd easily pierce with your finger.

It's currently at the stage where the pipework is now in the new channels and more or less ready for filling in.

Also the house is 30+ years old so this is probably about the 3rd time that the pipework has been disturbed/changed. There is also some unused gun barrell pipework in the floor from a previous upgrade.

I'll get a photo this evening.

Regards
Franm

We used a product called liquid rubber to seal holes in our dpc (which dovetailed as a radon barrier also). We got it from this crowd in Wexford. They applied it and left us a bit left over in a barrell for holes. Its magic and we use it for every type of outdoor sealing or leaks - gutter, etc etc. He might sell you a barrel. [broken link removed]

Below is the photo I took last night. Hopefully it will give you an idea of what I'm trying to solve.
Note also that it involves about 3 rooms so not just this small area in the photo.
Hopefully you'll also see in the photo how damp the floor is underneath the DPC.

Regards
Franm
ps thanks Dutchy for that advice, I'll contact them and see.

dpc.jpg

it looks as though the proper procedure would have been to take up all the existing floors and put down proper dpm, insulation and conc floor....

but you say thats not an option?

is there any insulation in the floors?? if so how are they protected from rising moisture?

There is no insulation in the floors at all (70s build) and yes it would be best to redo them to current standards. However this is proving to be costly and I was hoping that there may be another fix.

I guess that it's just that piece of plastic that you see in the photo that protects me from the rising moisture.

The main area that is breached will now be a bathroom which will be tiled so I was thinking that this may be less of an issue in this room.

I was also wondering if there some sort of standard work practice for dealing with this, or do builders just lay another piece of plastic over the pipes, fill in and leave it at that.

Regards
Franm

I have been a warrior in the war on rising damp for the past few years. My house is approx 100 years old so there is no dpc in many parts of the house. I was able to resolve all most all of the dampness problem using a chemical dpc. These are supplied by companies like dampco or the dampstore. One of the suggestions that has also been presented to me in my situation was to create a dpc with slates one section of the wall at a time. I have never had to go that far yet but there is one wall in my house where I think that approach may be needed at some point in the future (hopefully distant future).

You should be able to repair the torn sections of the dpm with a liquid dpm, as per Dutchy's suggestion. Or you could try the Dampstore in Blackrock they should have a similar product if you explain your needs..

Thanks for the advice everyone.
A quick google of "liquid dpm" has thrown up some interesting options.
I'm now wondering if some of those two pack systems might be the way to go as a sealing top coat. f-ball.co.uk have an interesting system which looks great in their website. Stopgap F75 is the specific product that seems to be what I should consider (with primers, levellers etc).

Anybody got any thoughts on these types of systems.

Regards
Franm

Back