Repair vs new car?

Bramble

Hi, I was in a car accident recently, and my car was extensively damaged. Unfortunately my boyfriend was driving at the time so insurance doesn't cover the repairs and my boyfriend will be paying.

The car (a Clio) was worth about €11,500. A crash repairer quoted €6,500 to repair it. This is using new parts, he should be able to do it cheaper if he can source 2nd hand parts.

It seems cheaper to repair it than buy a replacement car, but I don't know am I taking a risk. I obviously don't want it to cost my boyfriend a fortune, but I had a lovely car before this and I don't want to end up with a worthless banger after!

Will my car be worthless after such a major crash?
Would I just be better to buy a new car????
If I go ahead with repairs - should I insist only genuine Renault parts are used?
Does anyone have any advice?

Bramble said:
Hi, I was in a car accident recently, and my car was extensively damaged. Unfortunately my boyfriend was driving at the time so insurance doesn't cover the repairs and my boyfriend will be paying.

The car (a Clio) was worth about €11,500. A crash repairer quoted €6,500 to repair it. This is using new parts, he should be able to do it cheaper if he can source 2nd hand parts.

It seems cheaper to repair it than buy a replacement car, but I don't know am I taking a risk. I obviously don't want it to cost my boyfriend a fortune, but I had a lovely car before this and I don't want to end up with a worthless banger after!

Will my car be worthless after such a major crash?
Would I just be better to buy a new car????
If I go ahead with repairs - should I insist only genuine Renault parts are used?
Does anyone have any advice?

did you out what the car is worth in its currernt state ?

No, unfortunately I didn't get an official valuation. But unofficially I was told I might get €1500 for scrap.

Bramble said:
No, unfortunately I didn't get an official valuation. But unofficially I was told I might get €1500 for scrap.

well then the maths are simple

Fixed Car Costs
€6500

Replacement car =
€11,500 - €1500 = €10,000

Is having a r
eplacement car worth €3500 to you ?

Tricky one this.

Just wondering why the insurance doesn't cover the repairs?

If it was covered the car would most likely have been written off as the cost of fixing it is well above 50% of the value.

I'd say get rid of it - even if fixed well it's had a heavy bang, and selling/trading it in might be very difficult afterwards.

You may risk having to get a new boyfriend but such is life.

RS2K said:
Tricky one this.

Just wondering why the insurance doesn't cover the repairs?

If it was covered the car would most likely have been written off as the cost of fixing it is well above 50% of the value.

I'd say get rid of it - even if fixed well it's had a heavy bang, and selling/trading it in might be very difficult afterwards.

You may risk having to get a new boyfriend but such is life.

I would persume she was only covered TPF&T

Well we both have fully comp insurance, but as he's not a named driver on my policy we can't claim under that. His insurance only covers him for 3rd party damage when driving a car other than his own.

Back