Repair to Multimedia projector

laragh

I have a fairly old multi media projector which is showing a yellow tinge on the projected image.
I have a fair idea its the VGA port where the cable connects to the projector bringing in the signal from the laptop. Shifting around the VGA connector where it is connected to the projector brings back a good picture but you would need to be pushing hard against the connector to keep the picture right
Its not the cable as I have tried a couple of other cables and the yellow picture is the same. There are no other port options to allow me to use an alternative to connect it.
The projector is a Misubushi XD110U - I have tried a couple of local electronic shops and none of them are interested in fixing it.
They want to just sell me a new one!!
But I would imagine it could be a simple enough fix for someone that knew what to do. It would sicken me to scrap it as It is more that fit for purpose if this issue was sorted.
Have you any suggestions of where I might get it looked at? I am living in the north midlands.

There used to be a couple of places near me in Dublin that would look at anything, but both have since closed and I'm guessing lack of demand was the driver there.

If adjusting the cable clears the issue, it's very likely a problem with the solder connections on the socket where it connects to the pcb. If you can open it and take a look you should be able to confirm. It's a relatively simple DIY job to fix that. Pretty crap video here, but it'll give you an idea.

Last edited:
Thanks Leo.

After getting short shrift from the couple of electronics places I tried I did indeed open it up and had my soldering iron ready but when I took the cover off I could not easily get at the socket. Big circuit board in the way with no obvious way to get behind it. I decided the best course of action was to let a pro look at it as I could do more harm than good. So I closed it up again.
I am only a (small) step up from a competent DIY'er and not an electronics expert.

Reactions: Leo
If only it was newer and you'd easily find a video of someone disassembling it! Service [broken link removed] might be available elsewhere...

Another possibility, if the VGA cable gets plugged in an out every time you use it, is wear on the pins.
A squeeze with a needle nosed pliers to flatten the pins a bit and maybe get a better contact could be worth a try.

Ok Buddyboy if you mean wear on the socket (that the VGA cable pugs into at the back of the projector) then I might try that flattening the pins trick.
As I said I have tried a few different VGA cables with no joy....

You are not limited to VGA/XGA cable connectivity - RGB and Svideo options exist if you get the cables which are dirt cheap and readily available.

Anything useful here or did I get the manufacturer or model number wrong? :) https://www.projectorcentral.com/Mitsubishi-XD110U.htm
for access to specs and documentation.

For repair and spares information in UK:

MEU-UK (Mitsubishi Electric Europe)
[broken link removed]
Visual Information Systems Division, Travellers Lane, Hatfield, Hertfordshire, AL10 8XB

Sales
Phone :+44 (1707) 278684
Fax :+44 (1707) 278541
E-mail :[email protected]

Technical
Phone:+44 (870) 606 5008
Fax :+44 (1506) 431927
E-mail :[email protected]

Last edited:
Thanks mathepac - that's the model alright.
I took a good look on YouTube but couldn't find anything specific to this model to help me do the repair myself
I had a look at the user manual (complements of mathepac's link) but nothing really to help me there either.
I had already tried to make email contact with Mitsubishi before Christmas but got nothing back.
I might try the emails you provided above and see how I get on.

I can see there that there are other outputs on the projector - a USB (PC) port a square USB port and a Video out socket.
My latest laptop no longer has a VGA output - I will likely use the HDMI port - can I connect either of these 2 outputs from the projector to the laptop and still get a good picture out?

Back