Renting to a couple

paper-folder

I will have a three bed house back on the market shortly for renting. All bedrooms are a reasonable size, enough for double beds. In the past I have rented through an agent and they have come up with three friends or colleagues to take it on. Speaking to the agent today he is suggesting a couple that is on his books. He says that they have a proven track record and would I consider them as an alternative.

I'm just wondering if anyone has any experience of a situation like this? Can it all go bad if the couple split up or someone is made redundant? Are they likely to want to take in someone else after the lease is signed given that they will have two spare rooms? Are they more likely to end up long term tenants, or are there issues if children come along?

I'd be grateful for any thoughts or wisdom anyone can add to this, thanks.

If you're getting the rental price and they're recommended I don't see any problem. As for them having a child, what's your issue with that?

Would it not be good if they became long term tenants if they have children? One of my tenants had their fourth child last year. In the house about 6 years or so which means I really don't have to think about the property. (A bit more wear and tear but who cares)

And I agree with previous poster, if they are recommended and they pay the rent and are good tenants there is no problem.

Three people sharing would expect to pay nearly twice what a couple would normally pay.

A three bedroom house is probably suitable for 5 people, two doubles and a single. If you let it to two people you are asking for trouble, why would they not use the house to its potential.

Having said that if the couple are able to meet the rent and you are happy with them, it might all work out fine. But if it doesn't you will have to face the fact that the warning signs were there

Can it all go bad if the couple split up or someone is made redundant? Are they likely to want to take in someone else after the lease is signed given that they will have two spare rooms?

and you ignored them.

Last edited:
In my experience, young couples often decide to separate during a multi-year lease. The younger the age profile the higher the chance of separation. Typically, one will move out suddenly leaving the other faced with rent that cannot be paid and bills unpaid etc. I would caution.

Thanks everyone, the divergence of views in the posts indicates to me that there was merit in asking the question in the first place. It is interesting that people have had good and bad experiences, just like any time you take on new tenants, I suppose.

Back