Renting out storage area in my house

hakouna

Hi ,

I have been renting out a room in my house to a nice guy for almost 9 months now . He quit his job and wants to leave his stuff stored at my place for couple of months till he get back from his travel to find a job in the area . That suit me as I will have my parents visiting me for the summer . I am seeking your advice on how much should I charge him for just leaving his stuff stored in my place , he has lots of books , 2 big shelves , computer desk , computer & a 30" T with stand . The monthly rent is 490 Euro + bills .

I appreciate your advice
Hakouna

Depends on whether you think he'll be moving back in on his return, and for how long. I've heard of students paying half the rent for a landlord to 'hold' their accommodation over the summer holidays while they travelled — presumably including the right to leave their stuff there...

Thanks . At his return , my house mate will try to find a job , if he finds a job locally he will stay , otherwise he will leave .
I checked with "U store it" , they might have a competitive offer less than half of the rent . But what advantagues I have againist U store it ?

I suppose you save him the hassle of boxing/packaging and transporting all his gear to "U store it", and then getting it back when he returns — although if he doesn't find work locally and has to move on, he'd only be postponing that...

Maybe you could offer to undercut their best price, given that you say it would kind of suit you to have the room unoccupied over the summer?

Would you be thinking of letting the room, or using it yourself if his things were not there, what about the insurance aspect of keeping his belongings in your house, how will he pay you, how long exactly will he leave his things there, you dont want to be stuck with them indefinitely?

just some questions i'd be asking him before letting him go on merry way, how long will you let him stay rent free when he returns to find a job.

Think seriously about the implications of doing this.

Thanks Dr.
If , for argument sake , I charged him half of the rent , what sort of deposit I should keep ? the original full month deposit or in this case half of it ?
He said he might call over for a day or two between his trips to stay over night , how could I charge him in this case ? per night or I better off offer him strage without accomodation ?

appreicate it

hak.

Could you put his stuff someplace else, like under the stairs or somewhere? Which ever way you look at it, unless you charge the full rent you're losing out. Not sure if you want to take on a new tenant or not? If he wanted to stay here and there and then again maybe, looking for a job... and then a couple of months... it's all very vague. You should clarify everything right from the start, otherwise you'll only end up annoyed. Maybe ask him what his ideas are and sit down and work out if you can afford to "be nice and generous".

Back