Renting house: Worried we will be landed with hugh calor gas bill on our departure

carrighead

hi

We are currently renting a house and are hoping to get our own house in the near future.

We are worried that we are going to be landed with a huge gas bill when we leave.

When we moved in our letting agent told us that we were to organize our own gas, which we thought was grand. But the heating was broken and wasn't fixed for 6 months - during the winter.

After it was fixed a calor gas truck came and filled up the tank and we heard nothing about the bill. We thought that this was compensation for being cold through the winter but every 4-6 months thereafter the truck would come and fill up the tank - now 2 years later we are very worried to say the least.

will we get a bill?

Last edited by a moderator:
Re: Renting house: Worried we will be landed with hugh calor gas bill on our departur

Why didn't you ask?

Re: Renting house: Worried we will be landed with hugh calor gas bill on our departur

Hi,
I'm sure you will get a bill, you've used the gas, so you'll have to pay for it.

Why don't you phone to check? (it'll at least give you an idea where you stand)

Nicola

we were recently talking to our neighbor and he said the same thing happened to the previous tenants living in the house but he didn't know if they got a bill.

we should have asked about it but we were really ****ed off that he gave us the complete runaround about the heating and we didn't want to deal with him or the letting agent again, however we had to report other problems with the property to them and they never did anything about them and so i guess our attitude was feck them anyway - but i think the joke will be on us.

I suppose you could put your head in the sand, and see what happens, but these sort of things usually catch up with you.
Did you complain in writing about the lack of heating for the first winter?
If so, perhaps you could use this a a point for some negotiation?

Nicola
PS this sounds stressful for you. Sometimes it's less stressful to know what the score actually is, rather than fretting about it

yep, we had to through threshold to get it sorted so its all documented with them, i'm going to have to get my head out of the sand and sort it out - just really nervous of the bill and if its too big it will damage our chances of getting our own home, we have old letters here from previous tenants maybe i should get in contact with them and see how they fared

Good luck,
I hope it works out OK for you.

Nicola

Back