Renting house below market rate/ staying one weekend a month? Register RTB

Your question boils down to whether the rent paying occupants will be mere licensees (aka lodgers) or tenants. If the house is not your primary residence, any rent paying occupants cannot be lodgers - so they must be tenants!

I would focus less on the semantics.

You need to figure out how any arrangement will be viewed by the RTB and Revenue.

Make your housing and financial plans on the basis of compliance with the rules, and there is plenty of advice up this thread.

Why would anybody bring a case they have no hope of winning?
I can't figure out what you mean here?

If any such case was to be brought to RTB/ court, then it would, I imagine, be started by either a tenant or perhaps an agency (e.g. Threshold) on their behalf?

My question was if you ( or anyone reading this thread) knew of actual legal / RTB cases where it was established that a house sharing arrangement was in fact a tenancy?

Last edited:
I think some of this is getting out of hand lol
First thing is I worked hard to buy this house and when I come home i wish to stay in my home - life isn’t all down to money lol
Secondly I think I’m allowed to have people rent my spare room regardless of whether you call them lodgers or not
My Initial question remains and from what I can it’s clearly not clear cut so I shall proceed as a house share- I made no reference in my question to rent a room allowance
By the way I pay all the bills here as I’ve always down- it’s my home in Ireland and I spend every summer here
If it is your house and you want to stay in it rather than a hotel and you spend each summer here then why the concern about whether you can rent it out at a later date at the market rate?
I'm no expert in this area but I would put a lot of value on Sarenco's posts generally and in these patters in particular. I think you'd do well to do the same.

I can't figure out what you mean here?

If any such case was to be brought to RTB/ court, then it would, I imagine, be started by either a tenant or perhaps an agency (e.g. Threshold) on their behalf?

My question was if you ( or anyone reading this thread) knew of actual legal / RTB cases where it was established that a house sharing arrangement was in fact a tenancy?
Remember the you have to prove that you don't owe tax, Revenue don't have to prove that you do.

What's proposed here isn't a house share.

I can't share a house with somebody in Dublin if I live in London.

There is no case on the point because no sane person would try to argue otherwise.

@Purple - it wasn't tax I was referring to. I was asking if anyone had any actual cases / determinations / documentation where the RTB have ruled that a house share was in fact a tenancy?

Back