renting car in France next weekend

Hi Sparkrite. Still getting around to doing this. I have purchased excess insurance only (AIG - 50 euro). Im sure this is not enough insurance for the rental. I only yesterday heard about the heatwave and it will be 37 degrees when we arrive. I hope the air con works in the car. Could be a nightmare but at least the weather will be cooler bu next week. Car seats booked in Halfords and window blinds.

Kinda 'mild' alright ! :)

Susie, a lot of people mix this 'excess insurance' up in thinking that the rental company will take it into consideration. They don't ! And rightly so, it is your own personal insurance against any claim the rental company make against you. You must settle that claim with the renter and then you claim that amount from your own policy, in your case AIG.
But as I said there is absolutely no point in taking out the full waiver insurance with the rental company now that you have covered yourself against any loss (es). If you did it would in effect mean that you are paying twice for the same indemnity. But be prepared for the sizeable 'block' on your credit card.

NB. CREDIT card not DEBIT card as very few renters will allow debit card, even if you do buy their exorbitant insurance cover !

slightly off topic but I'm finding the comments about not getting an automatic if you are not used to one odd to say the least. I switched to an automatic from a gear shift last year, took me around 30 seconds to get used to having to do a lot less and find a comfy spot for my spare unused foot and that was it. It was a doddle.

slightly off topic but I'm finding the comments about not getting an automatic if you are not used to one odd to say the least. I switched to an automatic from a gear shift last year, took me around 30 seconds to get used to having to do a lot less and find a comfy spot for my spare unused foot and that was it. It was a doddle.

Yes, Car Body repair shops need folk like Peanuts.. Automatics take getting use to for most people.

Yeah, I thought that very strange as well, an absolute 'piece of cake', I found. Certainly easier going that way than the reverse I would imagine. Plus it gives your left foot a rest. :)

Suggest you do NOT use the Ryanair website for car rental. At least one provider with questionable business policies:
https://www.irishtimes.com/business...ds-green-motion-from-booking-engine-1.3546031

Car rental in France is expensive during summer months. We always try use a small rental car as the medium/large size cars tend to be very expensive. Have used Enterprise successfully in Nantes, La Rochelle and Poitiers airports. All the required safety equipment is provided as standard except for the breathalyzer. You can purchase these in the super markets while you are there for ~ €2 or €3. If arriving with Ryanair to a smaller airport then you need to ensure the car rental desk is open and staffed... depending on the day (some Sundays), at some smaller airports you have to make your way to the car rental office located in the nearest city.

All the toll roads take credit cards... you take the toll ticket when entering and pay on exit usually located on an off-ramp. Make sure you get into the correct CC payment lane for credit card usage. Avoid driving near large cities around rush hour. WE usually bring the sun guards for the rear passenger windows during summer as it does get hot in the car... especially if you are sitting in traffic.

Most camp sites are well equipped in terms of on-site supermarkets so perhaps its a cheaper option to prebook a shuttle/taxi direct from the airport.

Yes, Car Body repair shops need folk like Peanuts.. Automatics take getting use to for most people.
I agree with Peanuts20. Moving from manual to automatic is a doddle. Going the other way could be a problem alright.

Suggest you do NOT use the Ryanair website for car rental. WE usually bring the sun guards for the rear passenger windows during summer as it does get hot in the car... especially if you are sitting in traffic.

Most camp sites are well equipped in terms of on-site supermarkets so perhaps its a cheaper option to prebook a shuttle/taxi direct from the airport.

Disagree about the ryanair website for car rental. In any case it's run my Car trawler. As long as you book a car with a reputable, known company you should be fine. Towels can be used for sunblinds. Camp site supermarkets tend to be very expensive. And they are generally not within walking distance of anywhere.

Sorry Bronte, but I respectively disagree. We own a property in France for the past 13 years and visit 3/4 times per year. Our actual experience over many years has demonstrated that Ryanair flight schedules / destination airports are out of synch with the opening times of many, not all, but many car rental desks at French airports. It is a common experience that if you arrive on a Sat or Sun using a smaller airport which Ryanair typically fly to, that the local car rental desk is closed or "unmanned" and that one may have to make your way to the larger car rental office located in the nearest town to the airport. There is a disconnect between Ryanair arrival times and the manning of car rental desks at smaller airports. Not an issue for a larger airport such as Nantes where the car rental pickup desk is always staffed.

I understood your point about Ryanair was about a rogue car operator.

I entirely agree that if the flight times mean the car rental companies are closed than don't use them. But be very careful using unknown car rental companies abroad. I've had a very bad experience in Portugal.

That has not been my experience, I fly to France quite offend and too some of the smaller airports and I have away been told by the car rental companies that their opening time correspond with Ryanair flights.

Back