Renting apartment - letting agents

sinbadsailor

Need a quick rental of my apartment. Any letting agents that I should avoid or any good stories about good ones to deal with.

'Daft' to use letting agents

I found letting agents to be a waste of space when they came around to give me their spiel. Admittedly this was back in 2005 when the market was quite frothy.

I have an apartment which is let using daft website for past 2 years. I find it's much better and you save paying a month's rent in commission to people who don't give a toss about your property.

Hi,

I agree with Fintans also. I have used daft several times and get v. good response. Better to vet the tenants yourself, check references, etc. I'm sure rental aencies have role to play in certain cases but I prefer having control myself. Good luck whichever way you go.

Rgds,

lld004

i used one which i won't name but they were useless. we were abroad so i thought it was necessary. in actual fact i had to do everything over the phone and they were in the way/held things up mostly.

Like the previous posters said it's better to rent it yourself. I've only bad stories about rental agencies.

Like the previous posters said it's better to rent it yourself. I've only bad stories about rental agencies.

I agree as well. I always let my own properties now. Not only is it much cheaper, you can vet the tenant much better, and if the tenant sees it is a real person who owns the apartment, they are more likely not to abuse it. Only my experience and 2 p worth. IMHO Letting agents are overpaid and underworked, like auctioneers.

Letting agent story

A few years ago I had a letting agency around to my property to give me their 'advice' on rental levels etc. A very snooty lady from the letting agency in donnybrook came to the apartment and said she thought it wasn't really up to scratch for her type of clients but she would agree to take the letting on, albeit reluctantly. I told her politely that I would decline her kind offer!

After she left I got a phone call from her 5 minutes later to say that she had got clamped in my apartment block and could I help her out! Basically she had chanced her arm by parking there to save a euro in the parking meter. What a cheapskate. I enjoyed telling her I had another appointment and she could sort it out herself. I bet she enjoyed handing over that 125 euro to the clampers....

Re: Letting agent story

After she left I got a phone call from her 5 minutes later to say that she had got clamped in my apartment block and could I help her out! Basically she had chanced her arm by parking there to save a euro in the parking meter. What a cheapskate. I enjoyed telling her I had another appointment and she could sort it out herself. I bet she enjoyed handing over that 125 euro to the clampers....

:D

Rabbit 'IMHO Letting agents are overpaid and underworked, like auctioneers'. I can not comment on Letting Agents but I take huge acception to your above comment about auctioneers and branding us all with the one stick...I work 70hours a week travel two hours a day commuting, I have not been on a holiday in two years, and LOVE my profession. It takes 6 years part time or five years full time to get a masters in Property Economics. I agree that there are way too many awful/unprofessional agents and companys working within the Business buy please try not to brand all Agents with the one stick...As being overpaid..I am one of the top Agents within the company and am still including all allowances/commission earning under the lower tax bracket.

After reading the last comment from 'Fintans' there is little wonder why Agents get themselves a bad name. I strive to change peoples opinion of Auctioneers.
Kind Regards

Steven Blanc

I would like to add, after being contacted by an on the ball admin, to state publicly I am not touting for business..I am mearly offering impartial honest advise if needed.

As a renter and not an investor my experience letting agents are awful and I would never deal with one again. They hired cowboys to make repairs and tried to pass the blame when these guys caused a lot of damage. I.E. new wooden floor covered with splashes of paint and dints and scratches from painters.

They said it was our fault for not supervising the work. We moved out because we were sick of their crap and they left the investor with unnecessary bills from dodgy workmanship and at least a months rent while they searched for new tenants.

Demios..That is a disgrace...Have people had ANY good experiences whih agents? At times like this i cringe when I hear peoples horror stories

Have people had ANY good experiences whih agents? At times like this i cringe when I hear peoples horror stories

I have. I used an agent in Galway for five years to rent an apartment there. In that time I think I had a total of three vacant weeks, no problems with any tenant and rent always paid in full and on time.

I'm now using an agent in Dublin, who have been looking after an apartment for me for 1 year, and again have found them very professional. So far, similar experience with tenants they have found for me (touch wood!)

If you have the time and live close enough to the property, by all means manage it yourself and save the agency fee. If on the other hand, you live too far from the property or just would rather have a completely hands-off investment, there are in my experience professional agents out there who provide good value for money.

Back