Renting Apartment 3 months. Can they make me leave?

Thanks bacchus - so, given that CitizensInformation lists leased tenancies and part 4 tenancies separately it would seem that the lease in this case means that it is not a part 4 tenancy. In which case checking the lease to see what it says about termination/eviction would seem to be the most logical thing to do?

Clubman,
My understanding is that the "Part 4 tenancy" is not related to the type of tenancy (e.g. periodic or fixed) by rather the time the tenant has been renting.

Part 4 Tenancy is a 4-year cycle
0 to 6 months : landlord can ask you to leave without any explanation
7 to 48 months: landlord must justify why tenant has to leave
49 to 54: landlord can ask you to leave without any explanation
etc....

I am open to correction.

Folks,

Without getting into the nitty gritty of 'part 4' etc., if there is a one year lease and if the lease itself does not provide for early termination, then the tenant is absolutely entitled to stay put for the year.

It seems to me wholly possible that there is no early termination clause, and that the Landlord simply does not understand that the tenant has an entitlement. This is not to criticise the landlord. Many people do not understand the rights which tenants enjoy under a lease.

The Landlord's son and daughter in law have the trouble and inconvenience of moving to a new home. I don't see that there is any nett gain to humanity by having two families forced into this situation. If I were the tenant, if I were up to date on my rent, and if I were not reliant on the Landlord for anything else, I would certainly stand my ground.

Good morning and thank you all for your replies. I read over the lease and the section on terminating the tenancy was kind of vague basicly saying that the landlord can give 2 to 4 weeks notice due to unforseen circumstances which could be just about anything. I had a meeting with the landlady yesterday and she made it very clear she wanted me gone ASAP. Dont think theres anything I can do now.
Its not the price of rent thats the problem, (strangely enough rents seem to cheaper then the last time I looked!) its finding a suitable place. For some reason a lot of landlords wont rent to some one with children. Also my poor daughter is only three and she was just settling into this place. Ah well no point giving out now.

I rang threshold and they told me pretty much what was said here and to read the lease and ring them back. Might give them a call later but cant really see how they can help if I signed the lease. Should have read the bloody thing first.

Nope didnt read it. I was in a happy little bubble and just signed it and shoved the copy in a drawer! I dont have a solicitor as Ive never had to seek legal advice before but i get on fairly well with the companys solicitor so I could always give him a call.

Just as an aside to this. I'm sure if there house is so badly damaged and they have to move that the insurance company (their house insurance) would cover such cost so can they not just find somewhere else to rent themselves.

niceoneted, thats what I said but there seems to be some sort of problem with the insurance company and they wont pay out the landlady wouldnt give me anymore details. But in the last place i lived i left the tap running and there was water damage and the insurance still covered it.

klesser reckon if there are places to rent in the area and you can find somewhere nice just go for it, the stress and strain in fighting this may not be worth it as regardless you'll have to leave at the end of the lease when your daugher will be even more settled! best of luck :)

I read over the lease and the section on terminating the tenancy was kind of vague basicly saying that the landlord can give 2 to 4 weeks notice due to unforseen circumstances which could be just about anything.
To be honest, I don't think this is vague at all. A fire in the family would clearly fit the description of 'unforseen circumstances' in my book, so I don't think you'd have a legal leg to stand on here.

There may be a lesson for others here to always read the small print (leases, guarantees, loans) - It may well come back to haunt you if not.

If it was me I'd say I don't won't to get legal people involved but because of the hassle involved look for the rent to be waived for the final month as a gesture of goodwill.

I have decided just to move now instead of dragging it any further. I will definatly read the T&Cs next time. Ive learned my leason there. Thank you all for your comments

Back