Renting a room - what should I be concerned about?

Kurtr48

Hi there,

I am a home owner and am thinking about renting out my spare room. As I will not a be an official landlord if I do rent out a room in my house while living there myself, I am not sure if I can arrange/sign a lease with whoever I choose to rent the room out to.

My concern is that, if no contract (which would state the duration of the tenant's stay, along with what is acceptable, and is law-binding) is signed, the tenant/lodger could just not move out when his/her stay has ended and I would have a lot of hassle with such a situation.

If anyone could give me any advice on this or offer any input, I would really appreciate it.

Thanks

The lodger/tenant has the same standing as a guest in your house, and as such they must leave when you ask them to do so.

Of course you can sign any contract you like, but how will you enforce it?

If you do not use a Licensee Agreement (as I do), you need at least a set of house rules that you give the lodger/licensee.
As the home owner, you should also have a clause/rule that, if necessary, you may add to the rules/agreement.

Thanks you for your replies,

@Thirsty My biggest concern is that, if I do ask them to leave, he/she could just refuse and might even make claims to be allowed to live in the house as there was a verbal agreement originally. I could try to contact the police in such a situation, but then what? The tenant/lodger could tell them misinformation about the situation (such as no rules were broken, there was no misbehaviour or that the duration of the stay has not ended).

With a contract, I'm assuming, as it it law-binding, that if the lodger overstays his/her duration, I at least have a legal agreement, which he/she has violated. With that, I would have a legal justification for getting them out.

@facetious Thanks for the information

Again, they have the same legal standing as a guest; they must leave when you ask them to do so. If you had to call the police, they would be told to leave.

Back