Renting a Car - Insurance Required

DublinHead54

Hi,

Renting a car this weekend for the first time in Ireland and first time in years. I vaguely remember in the UK when collecting the car the sales rep always tried to sell an additional insurance at a high price and if not taken they needed to put a hold amount on a credit card. This could be circumventing by buying a cheap policy online.

I think it was excess cover or CDW insurance. Is this still the case in Ireland?

I am insured on my own car as a named driver via my spouse, but not sure if general policies (can't locate it) cover rental cars as well.

You don't have your own insurance - you are not a policyholder in your own name. You will need to purchase cover for the hire car.

car the sales rep always tried to sell an additional insurance at a high price and if not taken they needed to put a hold amount on a credit card.
Unless you buy this cover an amount to cover the excess will be 'held/blocked' on your CC thus effectively lowering your spending limit.
You can buy all the insurance you want but unless you buy the cover offered by the rental company you cannot avoid the block on your CC.

If you do not purchase this 'full waiver' then what you can buy online is a policy to indemnify yourself against the cost of this excess, should it be charged. These policies tend to be a lot cheaper compared to what the rental companies charge. But remember this is your own personal insurance and has nothing to do with the renter and indeed they don't care whether you have it or not.

Rental cars come with basic cover, so buying insurance is an optional extra. The Insurance the rental car companies generally sell is to cover the excess.

Unless you buy this cover an amount to cover the excess will be 'held/blocked' on your CC thus effectively lowering your spending limit.
You can buy all the insurance you want but unless you buy the cover offered by the rental company you cannot avoid the block on your CC.

Does this mean that you must have a credit card to rent a car here?

Credit card is required with nearly every car hire company worldwide, yes. Some accept debit cards, very few. But if you buy the car rental companies insurance at the desk then that opens up the opportunity to use debit rather than credit cards as there would be no excess or block needed.

Avis state credit cards only. However Hertz will accept debit card payments, but only if you take their 'Super Cover' insurance option that starts around €22 per day for the economy vehicles.

Sixt will also accept debit cards but will charge a refundable deposit amount starting at €1,500 (unless CDW option is purchased) plus a non-refundable 5% fee.

Avis state credit cards only. However Hertz will accept debit card payments, but only if you take their 'Super Cover' insurance option that starts around €22 per day for the economy vehicles.

Sixt will also accept debit cards but will charge a refundable deposit amount starting at €1,500 (unless CDW option is purchased) plus a non-refundable 5% fee.
Hi Leo, what about Enterprise? im looking now to hire in dublin tomorrow. and in T&Cs says will accept debit cards but i still don't believe them! :)

Hi Leo, what about Enterprise? im looking now to hire in dublin tomorrow. and in T&Cs says will accept debit cards but i still don't believe them! :)
They do not accept them in airports, but they say they accept them in non-airport locations with supporting documentation:

I will be renting at a non-airport location in Ireland

If the rental is not prepaid the renter must pay the full rental charges plus a deposit of 250 Euros. If the rental has been prepaid then the deposit will be 250 Euros. All debit or credit cards must be in the name of the renter and present at the time of rental. Renters wishing to use a debit card must hold an Irish licence and will be required to bring additional documentation and will be subject to additional checks. We do not accept Cash, Prepaid, Currency, Diner's Club or Maestro Cards.
Renters who wish to use a debit card must hold an Irish Driving Licence and must produce a pay slip that must be less than three months old. For all drivers we reserve the right to conduct additional checks and ID verification including sharing information with external partners who may verify supplied details against databases to which they have access.

You can buy insurance either direct or 3rd party, or not and be prepared to forfeit excess

An example of 3rd party is https://www.carhireexcess.com/ie

Your private insurance will not cover rentals
Just a heads up on carhireexcess.
Trying to set up an annual policy over the last couple of days, and couldn't get their site to accept payment ( from various cards).

Rang them, and he said that yes, they are having problems. Couldn't take payment over the phone, or by transfer, and couldn't offer any alternative.

I've used Blue Insurance many times previously (and had no problem claiming back excess charges when needed, on two different occasions).
I'm not allowed post a link, but if you google "blueinsurance" and select "Car Hire Excess" on their site.

Just a note on car hire excess insurance.

If you do have a scratch or minor damage, they take the cost from you and you then in turn claim that cost back from the car hire excess policy.

Just a note on car hire excess insurance.

If you do have a scratch or minor damage, they take the cost from you and you then in turn claim that cost back from the car hire excess policy.
Yes, they will take up to the total amount of the excess and it will be up to you to reclaim it from the CarHireExcess company. You will have 30 days to file a claim. If you have an accident, take plenty of pictures.
Also when collecting the hire car, do a full walkaround of the vehicle looking for dents before you leave the car park - dont take it that the hire document lists everything. Photograph anything that might be considered a mark and advise the rental company.

Back