Rental Question

suimhneach

what are the rules as regards furniture in a rented house, when we moved in 4 years ago there was a double bed in one of the rooms but there was a massive hole in one side of the base we didnt notice when the landlord was there as all we did was look a it from a distance. We found out that night though as we had to go look for a plank to stick under the matress at bedtime, after a couple of weeks we bought our own bed and threw the old one out.

Am a bit worried now as we are desperatly looking for a new place and we intend to take our bed with us, will we be expected to replace the heap of junk we threw out? Im sure the landlord was well aware that the situation was with the bed when we moved in but regardless are we supposed to have kept it stored someplace in the house?

I dont understand why people get themselves into these situations. If in a rental property, the LL is responsible for the fixtures and fittings that are there. If the bed was not in an acceptable condition, you should have brought this to the landlords attention the following morning and demanded a usable bed.
You are now in the scenario whereby the house came with a bed and it is probably on the contents list of your rental agreement. If you hand back the house with no bed then the LL is perfectly entitled to demand a replacement bed, irrespective of the state of the old one, as you now have no proof of its condition.

Flanders is correct, but I wouldn't worry about it too much. Look on www.dublinwaste.ie/free_trade.php & jumbletown.ie where you can get furniture free. People just don't have use for it. I've seen double beds regular. You don't have to pay you just have to collect and no doubt that these beds will be in better condition than your bed with the hole which you threw out.

Well as you've no deposit I don't think the landlady is going to get you to replace the bed. No one in a rental accommodation should throw out any furniture. It is entirely possible that the landlady did not know the base was broken, it's not something I would check. The most expensive part of a bed is the mattress not the base. Speaking personally as a landlord if that was all that was missing/wrong after a 4 year tenancy I would be delighted.

I'm glad you've decided to move.

Last edited:
Back