Rental Income Tax on 2022 income

corkfella

Hi, I'm due to speak to an accountant next week on this matter but I declared my rental income due from last year through revenue online. I had a quick question on the tax due, if you are oweing approx 8K, can you offset this with a contribution to a pension scheme? as in you put 2K into a pension pot and this reduced your bill of 8K. I remember coming across this in the past and was hoping for clarification, thanks.

yes is my understanding.

Rent is treated same as income/dividends so AVC's reduce your tax IT liability (but not PRSI/USC)..

there is no separation of "pots".

Hi, I'm due to speak to an accountant next week on this matter but I declared my rental income due from last year through revenue online. I had a quick question on the tax due, if you are oweing approx 8K, can you offset this with a contribution to a pension scheme? as in you put 2K into a pension pot and this reduced your bill of 8K. I remember coming across this in the past and was hoping for clarification, thanks.
No you can not offset unfortunately

thanks all, looks like I might be another landlord leaving the market soon, the tax bills on the gross income are crippling:oops:

thanks all, looks like I might be another landlord leaving the market soon, the tax bills on the gross income are crippling:oops:
I'd imagine it's rare that a landlord has zero expenses or capital allowances for renting their property which would would mena they would be taxed on the Gross amount of rental income received.

Not correct. Rental income and dividends cannot be directly sheltered for tax purposes by a pension payment. If the OP has eligible income eg from employment or self-employment, this can be sheltered.
In a IT assessment, is the sum of (earned/unearned income +dividends) *40% your IT liability ?

Back