Rental income only - what PRSI class applies?

Would it not be collected automatically by Revenue when an S class contributor submits a tax return?

Amusingly, I once tried to pay it when filing my Form 11 through ROS. The system cheerfully took my money, but didn't tell anyone in Social Welfare about it! It took quite a while to sort that one out. :(

From next year, my sole income will be rental income in excess of 5k.
How do I trigger this Class S stamp, who do I need to contact to start process?

It's automatically taken @ 4% (minimum 500 euro) when you submit your Form 11 tax return.
The 52 class S will eventually appear in your Prsi record.
It might not appear until almost the end of the next calender year.
My 52 class S for 2022 didn't appear until the last week of December 2023.

Be extra careful not to take up any PAYE employment. All your rental class S for any particular year will convert to class K for that particular year even if you only have 1 class A paid contribution during that year.

Last edited:
It's automatically taken @ 4% (minimum 500 euro) when you submit your Form 11 tax return.
Thanks, that explains the K class that appeared beside the A class in my statement.
Is the 4% calculated from rental income after deductions/expenses.
Example i have to pay 24,000 to Revenue therefore its 4% of 24,000 = 960 for this S class stamp.

The 52 class S will eventually appear in your Prsi record.
It might not appear until almost the end of the next calender year.
My 52 class S for 2022 didn't appear until the last week of December 2023.

Be extra careful not to take up any PAYE employment. All your rental class S will convert to class K even if you only have 1 class A paid contribution during the year.
Surely it's only S class contributions you pay for the particular tax year which covert to class k if you take up PAYE employment during that particular tax year and historic PRSI class S contributions ( which could have been amassed during decades) remain intact as class S with all the entitlements they confer as regards contributory state pension?

Thanks, that explains the K class that appeared beside the A class in my statement.
Is the 4% calculated from rental income after deductions/expenses.
Example i have to pay 24,000 to Revenue therefore its 4% of 24,000 = 960 for this S class stamp.
The Prsi is charged on the total rental income.

Back