Rent supplement query

K

kevp

I was wondering if anyone has some information on this.

If applying for rent supplement, one of the rules is you either need to be on the council housing list or have rented privately for six months in the the last twelve months.
I know that if on a housing list and moving from one county to another you need to apply again to the different council but I was wondering if renting privately for at least six months in one county would suffice when applying for supplement in a different county?

And if it would, what type of proof would they need a person to show as proof of having rented privately.

I may be moving and would like to know what to expect.

Thanks.

<LI hoverIntent_s="1" hoverIntent_t="8379" jQuery1345635925515="75">Private rented accommodation. You can combine time living in more than one rented accommodation to satisfy the 6 months (183 days). You must be able to show that you could afford the rent at the beginning of your tenancy and that you could have continued to pay rent but are unable to do so because of a change in your circumstances which occurred after you started renting.

You would have to provide evidence such as a tenancy agreement or lease from your previous address.

The previous address does not need to be in the same county as the one you intend moving to.

You are correct in stating that you must be on the housing list of the local authority where you intend to live.

Thank you both for replying.

You are correct in stating that you must be on the housing list of the local authority where you intend to live.

Am I right in thinking that I wouldn't need to be on the list when I've been renting privately for at least six months?

That is correct: at the moment, it is one or the other of the following

- Have been renting privately for 183 days (6 months) and show that you could afford the tenancy at the time or
- have been assessed as having a housing need by the local authority and have been placed on the housing list.

Back