Rent relief

LBT

hi,

my friend is renting and paying 600 a month what is his relief on this, also he has been paying rent for the last few years and hasn't claimed for it. how many years can he claim for?

See here:

[broken link removed]

In 2007 (for a single person under 55) a maximum of €1,800 rent qualifies for relief at 20%. So the maximum benefit in terms of hard cash into the individual's hand that would otherwise have been kept by the taxman is €1,800 @ 20% = €360.

You can backdate claims for outstanding tax relief by a maximum of 4 years - i.e. going back as far as 2003 right now.

See here:

[broken link removed]

In 2007 (for a single person under 55) a maximum of €1,800 rent qualifies for relief at 20%. So the maximum benefit in terms of hard cash into the individual's hand that would otherwise have been kept by the taxman is €1,800 @ 20% = €360.

You can backdate claims for outstanding tax relief by a maximum of 4 years - i.e. going back as far as 2003 right now.

Perhaps you can help me out here, I am currently renting a room with my other half and we pay 400e each in total €800 per month. We moved in around March, the thing is we pay cash directly to our house mates who happen to have lease under there name.. actually we don't have anything signed or under our name saying we are renting this room.

Is there any way to claim tax back even if I have no receipts??

If its just to late I can deal with that but in the future what can I do to keep track of rent - rent book, standing order in to my house mates account?? What will I need to claim tax back in the future??

I would really appreciate your help and advise..

Thanks you..

Back