Rent Relief

martyoo

Hi,
A friend of mine is claiming rent relief and is unsure how it works. Can some one shine some light on it regarding how/when is the relief payed back.
Thanks in advance.
Martin

Hi, yes its the revenue rental tax credit one. She is just unsure of how it works.
Thanks.

Can some one shine some light on it regarding how/when is the relief payed back.

The rent relief is given as credits on your tax certificate so it is not actually "given back". Your friend should see it identified as such on the tax cert.

Does that mean that someone who is not working and therefore doesn't have a tax credit certificate can NOT claim rent releif ?
regards
hak

Rent relief refunds can be paid by cheque or directly to your bank account as well if your friend's claim is for a previous tax tear or during a period of unemployment.

My friend is on medical training for few months , he was never in employment in Ireland and I guess he won't be earning any wages before a year or so as he has to pass at least 3 exams to register with Irish council then get a job .
He submited Rent 1 - Claim for rent relief for Private rented accomodation - to revenue but they came back asking to fill form 12A which is "Application for a certificate of Tax credits and Standard Rate Cut-off Point " . We are puzeled as we don't want to mess it up .
Any advice Appreciated
hak

Does that mean that someone who is not working and therefore doesn't have a tax credit certificate can NOT claim rent releif ?
regards
As far as I know that is the case - since rent relief is not one of the tax credits that is granted at source (e.g. owner occupier mortgage interest tax relief, private health insurance premium tax relief, SSIA topup and SSIA pension incentive tax credits etc.) only those who actually pay tax can benefit from it.

Thanks ClubMan for your clarification - I didn't find any information on revenue regarding this issue . You reckon I should advice my friend to fill form 12A and see what revenue will come back with or We/He will be messing his record with revenue when he will work in the future ?

If his tax affairs are not up to date then it makes sense to return a Form 12 or otherwise inform Revenue of any new information.

He never had to deal with Tax as he never had a job in Ireland , he just came few months ago to untertake an unpaid medical training , so he has no tax certificate issued for him before

He never had to deal with Tax as he never had a job in Ireland , he just came few months ago to untertake an unpaid medical training , so he has no tax certificate issued for him before
If he has no taxable income then he has no cause to file a Form 12. As far as I know he cannot avail of the rent relief tax credit as he has no taxable income.

Can you claim both? Hardly.

If the SW are paying most of your rent, then you would get very little tax relief, as you would be paying very little rent.

Example:

Rent = 120 pw, you pay 13, the SW pay 107.

Assuming you are paying income tax (unlikely), you would be able to get tax relief on the 13 rent you pay per week.

Can you claim both? Hardly.

If the SW are paying most of your rent, then you would get very little tax relief, as you would be paying very little rent.

Example:

Rent = 120 pw, you pay 13, the SW pay 107.

Assuming you are paying income tax (unlikely), you would be able to get tax relief on the 13 rent you pay per week.

So you can claim both:confused:

Back