Rent relief and revenue jargon

Itchy

Rent Relief for Private Rented Accommodation

Relief is due at the standard rate of tax (20%) in the tax years 2005 and 2006 subject to the following upper limits:

Personal Circumstances

Tax Year 2006
Single
Under 55 Max €1,650

Does this say that one would be entitled to claim 20% of the rent paid for the year up to €1650?

On the Form Rent 1, there is no box to place the date the lease was ceased. Does one include a seperate sheet to inform the revenue, in order to claim back relief immediatly?

Itchy said:
Does this say that one would be entitled to claim 20% of the rent paid for the year up to €1650?
Yes - €330 into your hand basically.
On the Form Rent 1, there is no box to place the date the lease was ceased. Does one include a seperate sheet to inform the revenue, in order to claim back relief immediatly?
If you think it's relevant just write it on the form noting what it is.

ClubMan said:
Yes - €330 into your hand basically.

Just to clarify, why is it €330 for the year, that I can claim, and not €1650? My interpretation in my first post is incorrect?

You're claiming 20% of €1650 = €330
The 1650 refers to the amount of rent you can claim on, not the credit you will get

why cant the Revenue just say you get €330 per year instead of making things complicated?????

bazermc said:
why cant the Revenue just say you get €330 per year instead of making things complicated?????

Because that's not how it works. You are only entitled to claim based on what you actually pay, up to €1,650.

For example, if you paid rent of €1,500 for 12 months ending 31 December 2005, you would be entitled to claim €300 NOT €330.

Not that complicated.

Berni said:
You're claiming 20% of €1650 = €330
The 1650 refers to the amount of rent you can claim on, not the credit you will get

Thanks all...

The Revenue being too slow... I feel like beating them with a large stick...

One month isn't that bad. Beating them with a large stick could lead to a fate worse than interest and penalties.

This is not a Letting Off Steam topic.

They have updated my tax credits to take account of the rent relief, but as im not working this is useless to me. If I ask nicely will they send me a cheque?

I would have thought that you will have to wait until after the tax year has ended to get a cheque, but I can't say for sure. No harm in confirming directly with them if you can get hold of them.

Thanks for the quick response CCOVICH. Yeah ill ask sure. Im nearly sure I read though, that if you are paying tax they apply it to your credits and if not they send a cheque.

Anyway must go and enjoy the sunshine...

www.revenue.ie said:

If your claim is in respect of the
current tax year an amended certificate of tax credits will be sent to you and your employer
will pay any refund due directly to you.
If your claim is for a
previous tax year or during a period of unemployment, any refund due will be sent directly to you by
Revenue. Tax refunds can be paid by cheque or to your Irish bank account. It is not possible to make a refund directly to a
foreign bank account

After a brief search!

There was a claim for a previous tax year and I am unemployed for the current tax year ergo I should a got a cheque, yes? Anyway sunshine...​

Back