Rent house while on Disability Allowance

brockdish40

Hi, We are looking to rent our house, and rent in another area at the same time. Can we do this whilst on Disability Allowance ?. Any help will be greatly appreciated. Thankyou.

Means test
Disability Allowance is a means-tested payment. To get the allowance your total assessed means must be below a certain amount. The main items that count as means are:

• Cash income that you or your spouse, civil partner or cohabitant may have. More information is available in our document about cash income not included in the means test.
  • Capital, for example, the value of savings, investments, shares, any property you may have (other than your own home). However, the first €50,000 of any capital you have is not taken into account. More information is available in our document about capital and social welfare payments.
  • Maintenance paid to you. More information is available in our document about how maintenance is assessed as means.

Hi Protocol, thankyou for reply. I have read the above summary, but does not quite give the answer I'm looking for. I am in receipt of DA at present, and looking to relocate to another part of Ireland. We would potentially get €500 per month if we rented our present property. To rent where we want to go would be appx €800 per month. So we would not be gaining any income. My question is can we actually do this and would SW view the €500 as income in this case ? Thanks again.

DSP would not assess the rent as income, but would assess the value of the house as it would no longer be your primary residence.

Click on the link in Protocol's post re capital and social welfare payments, which should outline how the property will be assessed.

Hi Gipimann, That's great exactly what I need to know, both you and Protocol have been most helpful. I'm very grateful for your time and assistance.

Back