Rent a Room - Non Financial Advice Please

Lauren

I'm about to rent a room in my apartment and I'm seeking advice from those of you who have done this before.

Haven't been in this situation before so wondered if anyone had a standard agreement they had used for this? I understand that the agreement between me and a lodger is a license agreement and not a contract as such. Is this correct?

I've advertised the room and have someone coming to see it tonight. What am I obliged to provide? The furniture is there (bed, built in wardrobe, lamp, bedside table). But do I provide the bed clothes? Do people normally ask for references? How fussy can I be about them having people over? Can I stipulate stuff like this in the agreement? All advice welcome!

I've done a search and haven't found a thread that covers this on AAM. If anyone knows of one, please point me in the right direction!

Lauren, I've been renting a two bedroom apartment for about 5 years. I rent (sub-let?) the other room.

Legally I think you are supposed to provide a rent book. No one will be expecting bed clothes.

I highly recommend you are really really specific in the advert for the room; that's what I do and it tends to keep the freaks away. I'm very blunt :) e.g. Do not come see the room if you have money problems, you have been described as difficult, you do not understand the basics of cleanliness, etc.

The problems I've always had have related to non-payment of rent. Really really make sure they have a full-time job and understand the concept of paying rent. It's incredible the amount of people who just don't get it.

You'll be able to suss out during the interview if they're quiet / party animal, so I wouldn't bother putting that in the contract.

Also be aware you will need to compromise a bit: parts of their personality will bother you, and parts of your personality will bother them. Be tolerant. Let them live comfortably. There is nothng worse than not wanting to come home...

hi lauren

from helping friends rent a room i would give the following,

deposit paid in full or part tonight if you are happy with the person, remainder of deposit and full months rent when they move it

if you are under the take about something like 7500 why have an agreement

the basics are needed in the room its up to the person to supply linen, as to general rules discuss them tonight, if the person is getting a bit uncomfortable better now then a few months from now?

references could be their mate sitting in the car outside so i usually go on first impressions,

Can't offer any advice on the agreement, but as a long-term renter, here's my 2c:

But do I provide the bed clothes?

Not usually. Most people prefer to use their own.

Do people normally ask for references?

I've had to provide work reference/bank statements/previous landlord references in the past - it seems to be fairly standard now.

How fussy can I be about them having people over?
Well, you can't really. Bear in mind that this will be your tenant's home too, so they have a reasonable expectation to be able to have people over. Obviously if it's all day every day and lots of people then that's not acceptable, but just because you're the owner doesn't give you any extra rights here, as far as I'm aware :). Like any shared living arrangement, it's give and take.

Like others have said state your rules clearly from the start, if they are too stringent then people won't be interested so you might end up have to soften them a bit. Even though its your home, they will be paying for the right to call it home for as long as their stay lasts. I would suggest not looking for someone who you think you'll be friends with and look more at where they work, how long they are there etc. If they usually go home at weekends its a bonus too, alot of people from the country areas tend to go back to their towns etc at the weekend which will give you more peace and quiet. Definitely look for work and landlord references, people won't be put off and don't let anyone push you into making a decision there and then, pushy people will remain pushy when you are living with them. Good luck anyways

Hi Lauren,

what you have provided in the bedroom is sufficient - you dont need to provide bedclothes - people will want to use their own.
In the kitchen, you'd need to provide crockery/cutlery/pots and pans etc, which you probably already have.

Having people over is a difficult one. You dont want them to have people over every night of the week, but you cant ban them from having people over since its their home.
I'd let them know how often you have your friends over (e.g. once a week) and say that you are looking for a flatmate who will have people over about the same amount.
Check if they have a boyfriend and if he will be staying over much - you dont want to end up with 2 flatmates for the price of one!
Its handy to get someone from the country, since they'll go home the odd weekend.

With anyone there will be a period of adjustment, but try to find someone like you in terms of cleanliness and hours of going to bed etc.
Dont get someone who works right beside your apartment, since they'll be home every day before you.

Good luck!
Ragazza.

Hi Lauren

I used to rent out a spare room in my house, and a few things I found useful were

Request rent to be paid by standing order to your bank account on the first day of the calander month.

Provide good storage in the bedroom eg flat pack shelves, drawers in mattress etc. This will mean that the tenant will have the ability to store all their personal belongings in their bedroom, and this will reduce the amount of their personal belongings stored else where in the house. Flat packs can be picked up quite cheaply in the likes of Argos, Atlantic home care.

If there are wooden floors in the bedroom, there are protector pads available that you can stick on the bottom of moveable items of furniture. I would stick some of these on the bottom of any moveable item of furrniture in the bedroom, as some tenants may decide they would prefer a unit of furniture across the other side of the room, and simply drag it across the floor.

When it comes to vetting tenants, I think it's just down to getting the right feel from the person. When someone rings up, I always say there are a number of interested parties, but let them view anyway. That way there is an easy get out route if you don't like them, as your can always tell them at the viewing that someone else already viewed the room and has first choice over them, and then tell them the next day that the room has been taken.

Paul

Back