Rent a room and eviction

imalwayshappy

Hi There,

If I rent a room in my home to a tenant and the relationship sours e.g. excessive noise or something like that and you ask the tenant to leave the property. If they refuse to leave I assume you do not have to take legal action against them to evict them but essentially just call the guards to remove them as they are technically trespassing? Would I be correct on this assumption? Thanks

That's normally the case, but rent-a-room arrangement were included in the eviction prohibition measures.

Hi There,

If I rent a room in my home to a tenant and the relationship sours e.g. excessive noise or something like that and you ask the tenant to leave the property. If they refuse to leave I assume you do not have to take legal action against them to evict them but essentially just call the guards to remove them as they are technically trespassing? Would I be correct on this assumption? Thanks
Not so happy then

The press releases and guidance say that rent-a-room arrangements are included in the eviction ban, but my understanding is that they are not included in the legislation or SIs. But IANAL, YMMV

Last edited:
Translation of MugsGame's last post:

SIs - Statutory Instruments - a means by which the Minister implements legislation

IANAL - I am not a lawyer or I pay excessive attention to detail

YMMV - You may meander verily (?)

Brendan

Last edited:
It’s crazy that the moratorium applies to ‘rent a room’ scenarios. The spirit of the scheme is that someone is living in your home! So now you can have someone sitting at your dinner table with you and you can’t ask them to leave?! Although my wife’s probably thought that for a long time!

Back