Renewing insurance

Gordanus

My house and car insurance are due.

Am I a total idiot if I just renew them? I really don't have the time or energy to go ringing around different companies to see if I can get a better quote... but am I being awfully foolish?

(I'm awfully afraid that the answer from everyone will be a resounding 'yes, you eejit!')

Well if you don't to do a lot of ringing around at least ring one broker and let them do the shopping around, you mightn't get all the companies but it's better than just blindly renewing. Or if that is even too much work then make sure you ask your existing insurer if they can better the quote.

yes, I rang the broker, demurred at the cost, and they knocked €50 off straightaway. So why can't they just offer that in the first place? Surely they HAVE to give me the best price? Aren't they obliged to, legally? :confused:

The most bizarre I've had yet was getting a better price from Axa going through a broker than they would give me direct for exactly the same policy. I got the renewal quote, got a couple of quotes online, called Axa back and they wouldn't come close. I called AA, got a quote and the lowest one they had was the same policy with Axa at about €100 less than they would give me direct, and that's with the broker's commission.

probably an admin charge that they can "drop" ...

but honestly, you are paying probably hundreds of euros in insurance for car & house... it's worth any pain to ring a few companies to save money off the insurance... you should take a vested interest in your insurance policies, see what you are / are not covered for... over time, you'll get the companies that give you "good" quotes... Personally, I'm down to 3 insurers that I ring each year and get the best quote from them... no other companies are close to the quotes I get from them...

good luck with the renewals..

I didn't have time last year (whereas other years, I'd always rang round) - so I just checked last years premium and knocked off 10% - rang them up -and said I had a price of X from another co - rather than move away, can they match it? They didn't match it but I ended up with a premium marginally lower than the previous year (rather than the renewal rate - which was considerably higher).

If you simply renew, you're throwing $ down the toilet.

probably an admin charge that they can "drop" ...

but honestly, you are paying probably hundreds of euros in insurance for car & house... it's worth any pain to ring a few companies to save money off the insurance... you should take a vested interest in your insurance policies, see what you are / are not covered for... over time, you'll get the companies that give you "good" quotes... Personally, I'm down to 3 insurers that I ring each year and get the best quote from them... no other companies are close to the quotes I get from them...

good luck with the renewals..
Would it be in order to ask you what 3 insurers you have concluded are worth the call? Thanks.

In the past I would have contacted AA (for car & home quotes), O'leary's Insurance Cork (car & home quotes), and one, maybe 2 other "bigger players" to get a baseline quote.

For the last 5 years or so it was working out that O'Leary's was the best for car insurance for me and AA for home insurance. Aviva gave a very competitive quote for home insurance last time around, so moved to them (€60 difference than AA).

Also consider whether you are in a location where flood cover can be dropped and further savings can be achieved if you are prepared to accept a small excess on claims. I have made considerable savings on my annual premium by doing this. A good broker is the key to finding out what's available.

Back