Laya Renewing family of 5 now incl 18 yr old

Marsha25

Hi
We currently have 2 adults on Precision 600 Create and 3 kids on Essential Health 300, as suggested here last year (thank you for that suggestion snowyb:)) We were paying around €165 pm. Renewal just in and its gone up to €264 pm. Eldest has turned 18 so his policy is costing even more than mine and husband's now. Kids require basic level of care - no private room, no health issues (fingers crossed). 2 adults made good use of the low excess on day to day cover for the year, between gp, consulants and dentist visits, so would like to have a similar level for 2020. Renewal date is 1 Jan 2020. Any recommendations greatly appreciated.

Hi Marsha25,

VHI are best value for both young adults and children at the moment.
Yourself and your husband can stay with Laya while the 3 children switch to VHI.

18 year old option
1. VHI One Plan 250; price 332pa; all public and private hospitals covered, private hospital inpatient excess is capped at 250 x 2 per year for all
private hospital admissions. Day case excess 150 per procedure. There is no excess to pay in any public hospital.

https://www.hia.ie/comparison-tool/...Mb2NrIjpmYWxzZSwicGxhbl9kZXRhaWxfaWQiOi0xfX1d

Other 2 kids options(under 18)
1. VHI One Plan 250; price 193 per child; all public and private hospitals covered, private hospital inpatient excess is capped at 250 x 2 per year for all
private hospital admissions. Day case excess 150 per procedure. There is no excess to pay in any public hospital.

2. VHI One Plan 150; price 197 per child, all public and private hospitals covered, private hospital inpatient excess is capped at 150 x 2 per year for all

3. VHI One Plus Plan; price 225 per child; all public, private and 3 hi-tech hospitals covered, private or hi-tech hospital excess 125 per admission
and 125 excess per day case procedure. No excess applies to any public hospital.
Note; the 3 hi-tech hospitals are based in Dublin( Blackrock Clinic, Beacon and Mater Private).

https://www.hia.ie/comparison-tool/...vY2siOmZhbHNlLCJwbGFuX2RldGFpbF9pZCI6LTF9fV0=

Vhi allow children and young adults to be insured on their own, without adults on the policy.
There are savings to be achieved overall.

Regards, Snowyb

Thank you so much for taking the time to respond and for your advice. It's much appreciated. As you have been so helpful both this year and last, I would like to donate a few euro to a charity of your choice if that's ok with you - if you could reply or pm me with a chosen charity I will do it asap. Kind regards, M.

Marsha25,

That's really generous of you! A children's charity like Jack and Jill would really value your kind donation.
Happy Christmas!

Snowyb

Back