Health Insurance Renewal of Irish Life Health Plan 16.1 and Be Fit 2.1

BeeLazy

Our health insurance is due for renewal on 1st April. Last year after trawling through this site doing multiple comparisons on the HIA site and taking snowyb's recommendations into account I went with Health Plan 16.1 x 2 for a 66 and a 64year old and Be Fit 2.1 for 38yr old. Naturally these have increased this year to €1255 x 2 and €1352 x 1. Looking at the advice so far I am thinking would Laya Simplicity or Laya Control 300 Create be better. I seem to have very large shortfalls with Health Plan 16.1 on cover in Private Hospitals. The 2 older members are very fit and healthy the 38yr old has groin muscle problems and had procedures done in the Santry Clinic.

Your advice would be much appreciated

Bee

BeeLazy,

Welcome to AAM.
Alternative options include Laya Simplicity and VHI PMI 43 16.
1. VHI PMI 43 16; price 1171pa; all public, private and hi-tech hospitals covered, private excess 150 per admission, day case excess 50 per visit,
no excess applies in any public hospital, good day to day cover.
[broken link removed]

2. Simplicity Plan; price 1190pa;(price from 1 April 2017) all public, private(including private room fully covered) and hi-tech hospitals, private excess 100 x 2 max per year, private day case excess 50 per visit, good day to day - first 100 not allowed.
[broken link removed]

Regards, Snowyb

Many thanks snowyb. The Laya Simplicity seems to offer better hospital cover but has an excess of €100 for outpatient day-to-day. Could I ask you to explain the bit in the Laya Simplicity which says €175 shortfall per night
and am I right in thinking that on the VHI PMI 43 16 the Blackrock clinic is fully covered in semi-private and Mater Private with only offers 35% for semi-private with €150 excess per claim

It's these excesses and shortfalls that always bamboozle me when I am trying to compare.

Bee

BeeLazy,

No, Blackrock Clinic is not fully covered in semi-private on VHI PMI 43 16.
Hi-tech hospital cover is a real grey area and hard to define at times.
Surgery in Beacon hospital is fully covered in a semi-private room, except 80% cover for certain orthopaedic surgery ie hip and knee replacement.
The shortfall for this type of surgery is 2000 or 3000, plus one off excess 150(pmi 43 16) or 100(Simplicity).

Blackrock Clinic and Mater Private have a waiver list whereby they don't pass the shortfall onto the patient for a wide range of surgery.

Cardiac and orthopaedic surgery is fully covered on Simplicity plan in these 2 hospitals.
Cardiac and a list of special procedures are fully covered on PMI 43 16 plan in these 2 hospitals.
VHI don't publish this list of special procedures so this information is not available for customers.
Surgery or procedures that are not fully covered on the waiver list above would involve a shortfall charge per night in Blackrock Clinic and
Mater Private. 175 p/n Simplicity. 260 p/n PMI 43 16.

Snowyb

Back