Laya Renewal increase and plan options

poppy265

Hi

Renewal time has arrived and ever year I struggle to compare plans ...we are a family of one adult and 4 children and my current policy has increased by 40 euro month and I just can't afford it could just about manage the 96 a month ..

Adult policy Flex 250 explore 949 pa
Child Essential Connect Health 160 per child.

I'm looking to find insurance in around the same monthly fee of 95 to 100 per month for us all.

I also read from pervious posts I can move the children to vhi ... but quick question ... having been with laya for years two of my children have had various procedures tonsils .. grommets etc and one has anaphylaxis would I be able to change insurers or is there a waiting policy ?

Thank you for any advice

Last edited:
Hi poppy265,

As your renewal is 1st September 2016,(I checked last years post) there may be more price changes or offers coming out in the coming week, so I would wait until then before making any final decisions.

Regarding switching the children to VHI, they will have the same cover as they have now, no waiting. If there is EXTRA cover on the new VHI plan,
the waiting time only relates to this extra cover. Two year waiting applies to any pre-existing conditions and 26 weeks waiting time applies to any new conditions. Examples of extra cover are; cover for a private room in a public hospital - current plan covers a semi-private room in a public hospital. Most of the extra cover relates to cover in hi-tech hospitals like the Blackrock Clinic or Mater Private, which is not included on their current
plan. So, you never lose cover if you switch, you keep the cover you have at the moment and the waiting only applies to any extra cover on the new plan.

I will update options next week when the information becomes available, if any, on the Health Insurance Authority website.

Regards, Snowyb

Thanks a million snowyb appreciate your help with this .... I went with the options you gave me last year ...

poppy265,

Alternative options for 4 children with VHI as follows;
1. One Plan Starter; price 105pa(total 3 x 105 = 315; 4th child is free) just public hospital cover only.

2. One Plan 150; price 122pa(122 x 3 = 366; 4th child is free) Public, private and Beacon hospital cover, 150 private excess.

3. One + Plan; price 137pa(137 x 3 = 411; 4th child is free) Public, private and hi-tech hospital cover, 125 private excess.
[broken link removed]

The children can be with VHI and yourself with a different provider if it suits.

Alternative options for 1 adult with VHI and Laya;
1. Start Plan 250; price 728pa; Selected list of public and private hospitals, Beacon hospital cover, 250 private excess. Check if the selected
lists of hospitals suit your location - this may be an option.

2. One Plan 250; price 848pa; all public and private hospitals, Beacon hospital cover, 250 private excess.
[broken link removed]

3. Flex 375 Explore; price 822pa; all public, private and hi-tech hospitals covered, 375 private excess, 125 day case excess.

4. Flex 500 Explore; price 728pa; all public, private and hi-tech hospitals covered, 500 private excess, 150 day case excess.
[broken link removed]

A budget of 100 per month or less is achievable for all of you.

Regards, Snowyb

Back