Laya Renewal advice on Advantage 250 Explore

Tipp gal

Hi,

First of all well done on this site it is fab & many of us are very thankful for it.

Now to my question.................

Our private health insurance is up for renewal on Feb 1st & we are with Laya on the Advantage 250 Explore

I have Surgery coming up in the next few Months on my spine & if that fails I will be having a spinal cord stimulator fitted.

What I need to know is........
Am I ok on this plan or do I need a lower or higher plan??

Our cost is going to be €1,720.52

Also I am not sure about the charges for Cover in private hospitals IE: subject to a €100 day-case excess & a €250 in-patient excess per claim
Does the above mean I pay €100 every time I go as a day patient & €250 every time I go as a patient ??

Thank you in advance for any advice you can give me and also for your patience as I am sure you advise everybody day in & out on the same sort of thing.

H xxx

Tipp gal,

Yes, you're correct about the excesses, you would pay 100 for every time as a day patient and 250 every time you are admitted for an overnight
stay - only in private hospitals. These excess amounts do not apply to any public hospital.

Regarding changing plans, if you increase hospital cover, your pre-existing spinal condition will be subject to a 2 year waiting for any extra cover
on the new plan. In other words, your pre-existing illness will be covered as per Advantage 250 Explore.
The only way that a different plan would benefit you at the moment, is one that includes day to day cover. This would refund some of the
consultant visit fee etc. There is no waiting time for extra day to day cover with Laya.

Cheaper plans would have higher excesses which would not achieve savings overall.
Plans including day to day cover are more expensive than your current plan but they also have lower excesses.
2 options worth considering with Laya as follows;

1. Laya Simply Connect; price 1101pa; public, private and hi-tech hospital cover, max inpatient excess 150 x 2 per year, day case excess 50 per
visit. Good day to day cover included - max refund 300 per year.

2. Laya Simplicity plan; price 1087pa; Public, private(including private room) and hi-tech hospital cover, max inpatient excess 100 x 2 per year, day case excess 50 per visit. Good day to day cover - first 100 not allowed.

[broken link removed]

What hospital will you have surgery in later this year?

Regards, Snowyb

Thank you Snowyb for that info.

I did not know that my pre-existing spinal condition would be subject to a 2 year waiting for any extra cover & thank you for that tip.

I will be having Surgery in the Hermitage in Dublin.

Tipp gal,

There is one alternative plan, worth switching to at the moment, which has identical cover to your current plan but with lower excesses.
Hospital list is the same for private hospitals but the inpatient excess is 150 per stay and the day case excess is 75.
The price is the same but the difference in excess amounts is worth switching.

Details as follows;
Precision 150 Connect; price 858pa; public, selected private and some hi-tech hospital cover, 150 inpatient excess + 75 day case excess.
[broken link removed]

Strictly speaking, as its a pre-existing illness, your spinal procedure should still be subject to the 250 excess in the Hermitage if you switch plans.
Sometimes these rules are not strictly applied, its hard to tell in advance.
But for any other illnesses or procedures that happen in the future, the lower excesses would apply.

Regards, Snowyb

WOW thanks again for that Snowyb, bit of a difference there all right & €2 cheaper LOL

What exactly is the shortfall & what would that mean to me & does it only apply to Private Room only or is it for Semi as well.

The shortfall of 200 or 300 per night only applies to a private room in a private hospital(Hermitage).
There is no shortfall in a semi private room in any private hospital including the Hermitage, which is the type of room that would apply to you for your surgery.
In other words, the 200 or 300 shortfall won't affect you at all, just the once off
excess payment on admission of 150 or 250.

In the longer term future, if you wanted full cover for a private room in a private hospital, Simplicity plan would cover this, but not for your pre-existing
spinal condition for 2 years.

Snowyb

Back