Renegotiation Of House Price After Survey

Possom

I have read that after a house survey it can be possible to renegotiate the sale agreed price.

To what extent is this possible?

For example, if the front window of the house is smashed, and this comes up in the survey, can this be used to renegotiate the price? Or would the seller simply say, surely you saw the front window was smashed when bidding?

Or anything else that might come up in a survey for which the seller could say that this should have been obvious.

What amounts/percentages can be negotiated off an agreed price after a survey?

Thanks.

I have read that after a house survey it can be possible to renegotiate the sale agreed price.

To what extent is this possible?

For example, if the front window of the house is smashed, and this comes up in the survey, can this be used to renegotiate the price? Or would the seller simply say, surely you saw the front window was smashed when bidding?

Or anything else that might come up in a survey for which the seller could say that this should have been obvious.

Thanks.

I'd imagine the only thing that would give leverage is if there were structural issues not visible to the naked or untrained eye. A broken window would not count...

Nothing is legally binding until contracts are signed, this usually happens after the survey, until then you can pull out or the seller can pull out, so yes it is possible.

Bad form to do so though without good reason, and could backfire on you.

Agree it's very bad form.

The buyer of a new house is going to be spending maybe €5,000 on doing it up anyway, so small things like a broken window should not affect the overall price. On the other hand, if the surveyor told you that all the windows were rotten and needed to be replaced, you could raise this, if it was not obvious to you when you were viewing it.

Presumably the price of fixing the problem?

Back