Renault Zoe looking for reviews

How am entrenched when I said I don't know the detail of the tests and asked for links to the details as they relate to SUV etc.
I can't find anything in there about bumper heights or disparity in weights, SUVs etc.

This is US study, but I have no idea if the changes in the US have also been implemented here.

This is from a German Study but its old.

This is from the UK but about pedestrians

You could infer from this there's a possibility Europe is lagging behind the US here. Hence I was curious about the European tests.

I guess we could just assume its all ok. it not like the industry would make stuff up (diesel gate)

Read it everything you have asked is in the documentation. You want to know how the test works how about reading the documentation. You can Lead a horse to water but you can't make it drink.

VW lied, cheated and got caught. That was diesel gate. Nothing to do with teating standards and nothing to do with ceash test.

Last edited:
Its not all about the airbag, being an older car it also lacks vulnerable road user protection and crash avoidance technology, which is included in the new tests.

I would love to know how these cars fair in accident against SUVs. But I can't find any recent studies on it. Does the NCAP test this.
Switching to cheaper, less effective airbags cost them points, but clearly doesn't tell the whole story.

You can read about the NCAP side / far side-impact test methodology. The trolley is lighter than a typical SUV, but it stands to reason that the larger a car in a collision, the more kinetic energy it will bring to the equation for any given speed.

Maybe you could link to how crashing into a wall replicates different bumper heights, and weights and is tested in NCAP.
Forget bumper heights unless you're looking at pedestrian impacts, these are designed absorption zones. It's the engine block/ chassis following that does the damage and the NCAP sleds replicate this.

Forget bumper heights unless you're looking at pedestrian impacts, these are designed absorption zones. It's the engine block/ chassis following that does the damage and the NCAP sleds replicate this.

I get your point Re: Crumple zones and sleds.

I didn't just pull it out of thin air. I had read about in the past. More recent articles (linked) indicated the US made changes because it was an issue and not just for pedestrians. It was reflected in their accident stats. Fixed for SUVs (mostly) but still an issue for Pickups etc. The European tests don't seem to have any focus on it. if people don't agree fair enough. It just what I read. What trigged this, was a quote from one my first links when they talked about small cars being unviable. It wasn't my opinion, it was in the linked article when they talked about the cost of safety features in the profitability of (small) budget cars.

What trigged this, was a quote from one my first links when they talked about small cars being unviable.
Yeah, small cars certainly pose a far greater challenge, designers need to put greater thought into how they protect passengers, but the Fiat 500 shows what's possible in a small, inexpensive package. But I also think it's good that NACP are calling out manufacturers for reducing passenger safety measures in the name of hitting a price point or margin. It's good that we know that Renault reduced the safety of this model by replacing an airbag designed to protect both head and thorax with a cheaper one designed just to protect the thorax.

Back