Renault Megane - routing a cable from dashboard to battery

MidlandsBase

I want to install a solar battery charge trickler in my renault megane. As the cigarette lighter is not live when the car is turned off I need to attach clips directly to the battery. What is the best route to take from the inside of the car to put wires through to the battery area and which panels need to come off?

I can't say exactly where on the megane it will pass through but if you have a look under the passenger side of the dash you may find what you need. Perhaps pull down the top of the carpet to see if there are any grommets in the firewall. Make a small hole in one and pass the wire through. Use cable ties to keep the wire from snagging on anything and use the fuse supplied.
I found the suckers that came with my solar panel went hard after a few months and the panel fell off. So i siliconed it to the window up over the passenger sun visor. You'd hardly know it was there. Keeps my battery topped off when the car lies idle when i'm car pooling. Starts very sharply and there's none of the turning over you get when the batteries lose their charge. I highly recommend them.

Hi Ollie323,
Many thanks for that. At least now I know I need to drill through rather than looking for an elusive opening to the front bonnet.
Thanks again.

Er, don't drill through your firewall. Look for a rubber grommet that may or may not be carrying a wire through the firewall. There might be one left blank. You might be able to widen the hole in the grommet with a screwdriver to let your solar panel wire through.
But whatever you do, don't drill through your firewall. You could drill through brake lines or fuel lines etc. Not good. Not good at all!

Thanks for the advise. The only reason why I mention drilling is that every car site i googled all mentioned drilling a 3/8 hole for wires, etc but point taken.

Back