Removing spring mechanism from door

M

McG 1

Hi,
Does anyone know if it is possible and how to remove the spring mechanism that makes a door close automatically?
thanks,

Which type of spring mechanism do you mean? Is it one screwed to the top of the door and the frame?

There is nothing visible making the door close, it must be contained in the hinge somehow.

If you look at where the hinges are you should see a little chain in the middle of the door holding it to the door frame.

Undo the four screws that hold that chain's bracket to the frame (but do not undo the screws holding it to the door itself). When doing this, be careful as the spring within is VERY strong and will pop the bracket off the frame as soon as you have undone the screws ! Be prepared for that - perhaps put a vice-clamp or have someone hold pliers on the chain itself.

After that, you can leave the gubbins in the door, it'll work fine.

I had a look and there is no chain going from the hinge to the door. Also it doesn't rise when opened.
Someone has suggested we need some kind of allan key to do something to the hinge, but not sure if this is correct.

Must be the hinges right enough. You probably won't notic that the doors rise when you open them, it's imperceptible.

I have them on my doors and they drive us bananas.
I was just going to cut the chain.
They are present in all internal doors in new houses as per the building regs.

Back