Removing post-tax earnings from Switzerland

G

Green Tree

I have been living and working in Switerland until mid-2006, where I held an account with UBS. In the event that I may return to take up a short-term contract in early 2007, I took the decision to leave €20,000 (post-tax earnings) in my account. As I will not now be returning to the city in the near future, I would like to move this sum out of the account, as the interest garnered has been derisory.

My questions are as follows:

As the money is essentially lying dead and is desperately gasping for life, is there a strongly recommended Swiss investment option or should I bring it to Ireland now that I am based here for the foreseeable future?

Were I to transfer the money to Ireland, will I incur DIRT, bearing in mind that it comprises solely post-tax earnings? Is there any good reason to leave the money in Switzerland?

As someone who is relatively minor dealings in the world of investments (which to date have been pleasurable as they have concerned Anglo-Irish shares), what might be the wisest option in terms of investing this money, which would allow access, if desired, after 1 year?

Were the Anglo shares to be cashed in and €20,000 to be added to this Swiss sum, with the potential then of €40,000 to invest...what options should one consider?

Many thanks for advice...

Back