Removal of thermostat in house

RonanC

Hello all, looking for some advice on the following.

We are in the process of renovating a late 1970's semi-d house. We have oil fired central heating that fed a back boiler and pump along with the radiators. Our plumber has removed the back boiler as it was very inefficient, then re-plumbed the house (new pipework, zoning floors), fitted new high output rads and we have had all external walls insulated. He commented that the boiler was in perfect condition was didnt need replacing.

Now, he has suggested that we remove and fully disconnect the central heating thermostat that is located in the hallway. Is this general practice? I have said that we would have no way to adjust the temperature in the house but he has said that the boiler is now adjusted to optimal temperature and should not need adjusting.

Any ideas?

Thanks

I'm no expert. But do your radiators have TRVs (thermostats)? If not then what if anything will tell your boiler to take a break? How are the zoned floors controlled?

No TRV's either, he also advised against these (which was against my own opinion). Floors can be zoned up in the hotpress by by switching off water to either floor as required.

If not then what if anything will tell your boiler to take a break? How are the zoned floors controlled?

Thats the bit I dont understand myself but I am no expert when it comes to plumbing

When my new bolier was going in it required a thermostat, there was going to be another boiler used which wasn't in stock and that didn't need a stat. The reason it didn't was I had already had TRVs fitted.

There is a large emphasis placed on controls by the SEI. I don't see how your system can be controlled. It seems your bolier will have a stat and I hope your water cylinder too. What will happen say when Monday is cold and Tuesday is warm, your bolier may just heat up to it's static temperature and have no input about the actual room or zone temperature.

I would ask your plumber specifically about controls perhaps it's all thought of already or perpaps he is just avoiding wiring.

Hopefully one of the many experts will comment on this thread and help you more than I can.

Also, play dumb with your installer. Look at the SEI website and quote back what you see around controls.

I would think removing a room stat is a backward step, the reason being is without a room stat you can normally only control the temperature of the water moving around your heating circuit(rads) and not the temperature of the room, if you only want background heat and turn down the boiler stat you can effect the performance of the hot water cylinder, it's possible to have a boiler that can control the house temperature like a room stat but they tend to be high end boilers and won't work with different zone as you may need different temperatures in different zones hence the room stats, the idea of going to the trouble of zoning a area and not having it controlled by a room stat is silly, if you download the chess booklet: [broken link removed] and have a read, it will answer a lot of your questions on level of controls. I would write down what you want your heating system to do for you and what level of control you want, then tell your plumber (as your the customer) to get on with it and stop being lazy(as identified by MAJJ), i find most plumber don't do there own wiring and try to stay as far away from it as possible, Gary.

Back