Remortgage rented property to buy 2nd house.

ancuisle

Hi,

I've recently returned from being abroad for the past 15 years. During this time my primary residence was rented out and is still rented out at €2500/month(D14).
The value of the house is aprox. €500K to 550K and has a tracker mortgage with €10K remaining(Sept 2018), the repayments are €450/month.
I am currently setting up my own business so am/will be self-employed but currently have no other recorded income for the past few years(I was traveling) except income from the rental property.
I would prefer to keep and remortgage the rental property to purchase a smaller property valued around €100K to €120K but am unsure if I can do this in my current situation? I have €40K in savings.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated! :)

Very unlikely, ability to repay is the number one criteria and with no record of self employment or a permanent job you fall at the first hurdle.

Best bet is ask a mortgage broker, they will know if any of the lenders are likely to look at such a proposal.

Pepper mortgages will allow the remortgage but you still have to show an ability to repay. As you are self-employed, you need to show 2 years accounts, so you will not be able to get a mortgage.

Steven
www.bluewaterfp.ie

I would be shocked if the OP could get a mortage in the current environment.

I understand why you say that.

However with more than adequate security, a loan of €120k with assets of €660k (€120k + €500k + €40k) gives a LTV of less than 20%.

and

More than ample repayment capacity. Repayments on €120k over 25 years would be about €600 per month (KBC Current Account Offer). With an income of €2,500 per month the poster any bank should welcome this business.

The stupidity and under-regulation of banks caused the bust in the past, the stupidity and over-regulation of banks is contributing to the current housing issues.

I don't disagree.

I made no comment regarding whether the OP should get a mortgage.

However, my view is that he/she would not get a mortgage.

To state the obvious, €2,500 per month is a gross figure, from which costs must be deducted. In addition, most banks assume a fallow month or two months every year.

A proportion of rental income would be taken into account but usually as a second income and not the principal one, this would have been common even back in the good old days. These days I doubt rental alone would be enough for a bank to take a chance on.

Back